|Public limited company|
|Traded as||LSE: BIFF|
FTSE 250 Component
|Founded||1912Wembley, London, UKin|
|Founder||Richard Henry Biffa|
|Headquarters||High Wycombe, |
|Revenue||£1163.1 million (2020)|
|£90.5 million (2020)|
|£57.4 million (2020)|
Number of employees
Biffa plc is a waste management company headquartered in High Wycombe, United Kingdom. It provides collection, landfill, recycling and special waste services to local authorities and industrial and commercial clients in the UK. As of 2017 it is the second-largest UK-based waste-management company. It is listed on the London Stock Exchange and is a constituent of the FTSE 250 Index.
The company, which was originally engaged in the removal and sale of ashes and clinker from London power stations, was founded in Wembley by Richard Henry Biffa as Richard Biffa Limited, in 1912.
In 1958 Richard Henry Biffa's grandson, Richard Charles Biffa, joined the business and, after becoming general manager in 1963, grew the business organically and by acquisition. The business was acquired by British Electric Traction in 1971 and by Severn Trent for £212 million in 1991. It acquired the American-owned UK Waste for £380 million in 2000.
Severn Trent demerged the company to a consortium formed by Global Infrastructure Partners, Montagu Private Equity & Uberior Co-Investment in 2008. It acquired recycling firm Greenstar UK for £135 million in 2010.
- "Annual Results 2020". Biffa. Retrieved 6 July 2020.
- Flanagan, Martin (23 September 2017). "Business Interview: Biffa chief Ian Wakelin". The Scotsman. Retrieved 25 September 2017.
- "Biffa looking forward after 100 years". Let's Recycle. 24 December 2012. Retrieved 6 March 2020.
- "Severn Trent to buy UK Waste". Citywire. 5 June 2000. Retrieved 6 March 2020.
- "Biffa owners acquire Greenstar for £135m". Environment Analyst. 10 June 2010. Retrieved 6 March 2020.
- Bury, Rhiannon (14 June 2017). "Biffa profits hit by costs of London float". The Telegraph. Retrieved 18 September 2017.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Biffa Bins.|