Big Band Theory
|Big Band Theory|
|Studio album by|
|Recorded||July 2 & 3, 1993|
|Carla Bley chronology|
The Allmusic review by Scott Yanow awarded the album 3 stars and stated "overall this set (which is enjoyable enough) is less memorable than one would expect from Carla Bley". The Penguin Guide to Jazz awarded it 3 stars stating "This never quite fulfils the promise of some exciting arrangements and a rah of hot solists".
|Penguin Guide to Jazz|||
|Tom Hull||B+ ()|
- All compositions by Carla Bley except as indicated
- "On the Stage in Cages" - 12:39
- "Birds of Paradise" - 20:21
- "Goodbye Pork Pie Hat" (Charles Mingus) - 8:38
- "Fresh Impression" - 7:39
- Recorded at Angel Recording Studios, London on July 2 & 3, 1993.
- Carla Bley - piano
- Alex Balanescu - violin
- Lew Soloff, Guy Barker, Claude Deppa, Steve Waterman - trumpet
- Gary Valente, Richard Edwards, Annie Whitehead - trombone
- Ashley Slater - bass trombone
- Roger Janotta - flute, soprano saxophone
- Wolfgang Puschnig - alto saxophone, flute
- Andy Sheppard - tenor saxophone, soprano saxophone
- Pete Hurt tenor saxophone
- Julian Argüelles - baritone saxophone
- Karen Mantler - organ
- Steve Swallow - bass guitar
- Dennis Mackrel - drums
- Carla Bley discography accessed August 9, 2010
- Yanow, S. Allmusic Review accessed August 9, 2010
- Cook, Richard; Brian Morton (2008) . The Penguin Guide to Jazz Recordings. The Penguin Guide to Jazz (9th ed.). New York: Penguin. p. 130. ISBN 978-0-14-103401-0.
- Hull, Tom (28 February 2018). "Streamnotes". Tom Hull – on the Web. Retrieved 9 July 2020.