Alive Galaxy Tour
|Tour by Big Bang|
Promotional poster for the Alive Galaxy Tour
|Start date||March 2, 2012|
|End date||January 27, 2013|
|No. of shows||41 in Asia
4 in North America
1 in South America
2 in Europe
48 in total
|Box office||US$73 million|
|Big Bang concert chronology|
The Alive Galaxy Tour (referred to as the Alive Tour) was the first worldwide concert tour and sixth overall by South Korean boy band Big Bang. It promotes the group's fifth Korean-language EP, Alive (as well as their fourth Japanese-language studio album of the same name), across four continents: Asia, North America, South America and Europe. The group hired choreographer and creative director Laurieann Gibson to direct the show. The tour was officially sponsored by Samsung GALAXY.
In total, an estimated 800,000 fans worldwide attended the tour.
Background and development
In support of their fifth extended Korean-language EP, Alive and their fourth Japanese-language studio album of the same name, released February 29 and March 28, 2012, respectively, Big Bang's record label YG Entertainment announced that the group intended to hold a world tour in partnership with tour promoter Live Nation, visiting Asia, North America, South America and Europe. Live Nation president Alan Ridgeway stated, "We are very happy that we are working with YG Entertainment and Big Bang to show [our work] to worldwide K-pop fans." A representative for YG Entertainment followed this with, "We are working hard to hold the best concert with the best production team to equal the anticipation of the world fans who are waiting for the first concert they will get to meet Big Bang.
Choreographer and creative director Laurieann Gibson, famed for her work with Lady Gaga, was hired as the tour's director and choreographer. US-based visual contents company Possible Productions was hired to create the Alive tour's custom backdrops. The team described the concept as a "bleak futuristic world [that could only be] saved by Big Bang." Lighting and staging, as well as overall production, was designed by Leroy Bennet. Staging and lighting alone was estimated at USD$1.3 million. Korean electronics brand Samsung was contracted as the tour's official sponsor, who provided electronics for the members and touring staff on the dates. This marks the first time the group has conducted a worldwide concert tour.
Tickets for the group's world tour, which kicked off in Seoul in March 2012, sold out faster than Live Nation had anticipated. In Singapore, all tickets were sold out shortly after its on sale and a second show was immediately announced to cope with the huge ticket demand from fans. Later in Malaysia, they attracted more than 3,500 fans to queue up at the box office to fight for their tickets. In Taiwan, all 22,000 tickets of their 2 shows were sold out within just a few hours.
Due to strong demand from fans in the United States, two additional concert dates in both Los Angeles and New Jersey, November 2 and November 8, were added. There were initially doubts if T.O.P could perform due to an injury, but it was reported that he would continue to perform. In Japan, Big Bang became the first Korean artist to perform three Dome concerts, at the Tokyo Dome, Kyocera Dome, and Fukuoka Dome.
Ticket prices for their concert in Hong Kong were reported to cost as much as $1,680 HKD (more than 200 US Dollars) The concert was held in Lima, Peru on November 14, 2012. The Orange County Register reported that ticket prices ranged from $50 to $300 for the group's Honda Center dates in Los Angeles. In the UK all the tickets for the Wembley Arena show sold out within two hours of tickets going on sale, resulting in a second date being added shortly after. They also managed to set a London concert record for the largest crowd gathered to see a Korean act in the United Kingdom.
The New York Times journalist Jon Caramanica wrote that Big Bang performed more than two dozen songs wearing almost as many outfits, and in unusual setups such as "taking the stage on gilded Segways and lowrider bicycles" during their "short but loud American tour".
Billboard K-Town columnist Jeff Benjamin reported that concertgoers were treated to breakdancing and Taeyang's gymnastics for a few on-stage flips during Big Bang's concert at the Prudential Center in New Jersey, and described the band's concerts in America as "a success for all".
Joseph Lapin from the Californian newspaper OC Weekly attended Big Bang's concert in Los Angeles and reported that the atmosphere during the show was "almost palpable". Lapin concluded, "It was nostalgic, a throwback to old-school hip-hop but with a commercial twist and a foreign reinterpretation...these boys, well, they'll be back, and they know they're going to be superstars".
The Guardian's music journalist Caroline Sullivan praised Big Bang for holding a "fabulous spectacle" at the Wembley Arena in London. She compared Big Bang with other Western music bands, and noted that Big Bang's edges "are crisper, the sound louder, the dancing sharper".
|March 2, 2012||Seoul||South Korea||Olympic Gymnastics Arena||39,000|
|March 3, 2012|
|March 4, 2012|
|May 17, 2012||Nagoya||Japan||Nippon Gaishi Hall||150,000|
|May 18, 2012|
|May 25, 2012||Yokohama||Yokohama Arena|
|May 26, 2012|
|May 27, 2012|
|May 31, 2012||Osaka||Osaka-jō Hall|
|June 1, 2012|
|June 2, 2012|
|June 3, 2012|
|June 16, 2012||Saitama||Saitama Super Arena|
|June 17, 2012|
|June 23, 2012||Fukuoka||Marinemesse Fukuoka|
|June 24, 2012|
|July 21, 2012||Shanghai||China||Mercedes-Benz Arena||30,000|
|July 28, 2012||Guangzhou||Guangzhou International Sports Arena|
|August 4, 2012||Beijing||MasterCard Center|
|September 28, 2012||Singapore||Singapore||Singapore Indoor Stadium||20,000|
|September 29, 2012|
|October 5, 2012||Bangkok||Thailand||Impact Arena||20,000|
|October 6, 2012|
|October 12, 2012||Jakarta||Indonesia||Mata Elang International Stadium||N/A|
|October 13, 2012|
|October 20, 2012||Taipei||Taiwan||Taipei Arena|
|October 21, 2012|
|October 24, 2012||Manila||Philippines||Mall of Asia Arena|
|October 27, 2012||Kuala Lumpur||Malaysia||Stadium Merdeka||18,000|
|November 2, 2012||Anaheim||United States||Honda Center||24,000|
|November 3, 2012|
|November 8, 2012||Newark||Prudential Center||24,000|
|November 9, 2012|
|November 14, 2012||Lima||Peru||Jockey Club del Perú||10,000|
|November 23, 2012||Osaka||Japan||Osaka Dome||72,954|
|November 24, 2012|
|December 5, 2012||Tokyo||Tokyo Dome||55,000|
|December 8, 2012||Hong Kong||Hong Kong||AsiaWorld-Arena||30,000|
|December 9, 2012|
|December 10, 2012|
|December 14, 2012||London||United Kingdom||Wembley Arena||24,000|
|December 15, 2012|
|December 22, 2012||Fukuoka||Japan||Fukuoka Dome||42,000|
|January 12, 2013||Osaka||Osaka Dome||72,954|
|January 13, 2013|
|January 25, 2013||Seoul||South Korea||Olympic Gymnastics Arena||N/A|
|January 26, 2013|
|January 27, 2013|
- Primary Artist: Big Bang
- Show Director: Laurieann Gibson
- Stage Design, Lighting design: Leroy Bennett
- Sound: Ken Van Druten
- Visual plans, projections: Possible Productions
- Music Director, Keyboard: Gil Smith II
- Guitar: Justin Lyons
- Programmer: Adrian Porter
- Keys: Dante "Inferno" Jackson
- Bass: Omar Dominick
- Drums: Bennie "BrIIghtReD" Rodgers II
- Dancers: HiTech Dancers and Crazy Girls
- Management: YG Entertainment
- Tour Organizer: Live Nation Korea
- Tour Manager : Shirley Hong
- Sponsorship: Samsung
|February 24, 2013||11:00 p.m.
|TBS1||BIGBANG ALIVE TOUR 2012 IN JAPAN SPECIAL FINAL IN DOME |
- "YG Entertainment warns against fraudulent ticket sales for Big Bang's encore concert in Seoul". Allkpop. 2012-12-29.
- Lee Sun-hee (January 27, 2013). "빅뱅 월드투어…12개국·80만명·매출 800억 (Big Bang's World Tour - 12 Countries, 800,000 Audience and 80 Billion Won Revenue)". Economic Daily (in Korean). Archived from the original on February 7, 2013.
- Benjamin, Jeff. "BIGBANG Reflect on Their World Tour in Exclusive Q&A". Billboard. Retrieved 21 February 2013.
- allkpop (February 6, 2012). "Big Bang to hold 'ALIVE TOUR 2012′ around the world through Live Nation!". allkpop.com. Retrieved December 4, 2012.
- Chrissy Mahlmeister (March 14, 2012). "Big Bang Pairs Up With Laurieann Gibson". style.mtv.com. Retrieved December 4, 2012.
- Figgie (April 3, 2012). "BIGBANG, American Idol, Mau5trap, Nicki Minaj & Kid's Choice Awards". possibleproductions.com. Retrieved December 4, 2012.
- "BIGBANG ALIVE GALAXY TOUR 2012". possibleproductions.com. November 2012. Archived from the original on December 13, 2012. Retrieved December 4, 2012.
- "His Résumé - 2012". leroybennett.com. 2012. Archived from the original on February 9, 2013. Retrieved December 4, 2012.
- "YG ENTERTAINMENT AND LIVE NATION ENTERTAINMENT PRESENT BIGBANG Alive Galaxy Tour 2012 in Malaysia". redtix.airasia.com. 2012. Retrieved December 4, 2012.
- "Big Bang to Collaborate with Samsung Electronics for "BIGBANG ALIVE GALAXY TOUR 2012″". soompi.com. July 6, 2012. Retrieved December 4, 2012.
- "Arirang News". Arirang.co.kr. 2012-09-28. Retrieved 2012-10-13.
- "BigBang theory". The Jakarta Post. 2012-10-04. Archived from the original on October 6, 2012. Retrieved 2012-10-13.
- "Korean Pop Group Adds 2nd Newark Show After Original Date Sells Out | njtoday.net – Everything New Jersey". Njtoday.net. 2012-10-01. Retrieved 2012-10-13.
- "Big Bang Adds 2 More Concert Dates in America Due to Heavy Demand - Yahoo! OMG! Philippines". Ph.omg.yahoo.com. 2012-10-04. Retrieved 2012-10-13.
- "T.O.P to perform despite hand injury, says concert promoter". Channel NewsAsia. 2012-09-27. Retrieved 2012-10-13.
- "Big Bang Frist [sic] Korean Artist Performing 3-Dome Concert in Japan". KpopStarz. Retrieved 2012-10-13.
- "韩国组合BIGBANG首度来港开唱掀抢票狂潮 文娱滚动 南方网". Ent.southcn.com. 2012-09-07. Retrieved 2012-10-13.
- "Big Bang enloquece a sus fanáticos con el Alive Galaxy Tour | RPP NOTICIAS". Rpp.com.pe. Retrieved 2012-10-13.
- "New shows: Aerosmith at Staples Center, K-Pop invades O.C." Archived from the original on October 17, 2013. Retrieved October 5, 2012.
- "'월드투어' 빅뱅, 英웸블리아레나 추가공연 매진". Star News (in Korean). Retrieved April 1, 2017.
- "Big Bang sets London concert record". Xin MSN Entertainment. 2012-12-18. Archived from the original on December 14, 2013. Retrieved 2013-01-23.
- CARAMANICA, JON (November 9, 2012). "BigBang Performs at the Prudential Center". The New York Times. Retrieved 10 November 2012.
- Benjamin, Jeff. "BIGBANG in America: Behind the Scenes With the K-Pop Boy Wonders". Billboard. Retrieved 16 November 2012.
- Lapin, Joseph. "BIG BANG - Honda Center - November 3, 2012". OC Weekly. Retrieved 13 December 2012.
- Sullivan, Caroline (December 16, 2012). "Big Bang – review". London: The Guardian. Retrieved 17 December 2012.
- Lunes. "Concierto de Big Bang en Lima elegido el mejor en Sudamérica en 2012". Radio Programas del Perú. Retrieved 23 January 2013.
- "Big Bang Holds ′Alive′ Concert". M Wave. Mnet. March 5, 2012.
- Kim, Ji-yeon (July 20, 2012). "Big Bang Makes First Official Visit to China". Yahoo! Lifestyle Singapore. Yahoo!. Retrieved 2017-03-14.
- Soh, Elizabeth (September 30, 2012). "Big Bang in Singapore: Crazy, sexy and super cool". Yahoo! Lifestyle Singapore. Yahoo!. Retrieved 2017-03-14.
- "Big Bang's World Tour Performance Cheered by 20,000 Fans in Thailand". KBS World. Korean Broadcasting System. October 10, 2012. Retrieved 2017-03-14.
- Nurshuhada Ramli, Bibi (July 28, 2016). "BigBang onstage and off-stage". New Straits Times. The Straits Times. Retrieved 2017-03-14.
- Lee, Hyun-jae (November 5, 2012). "Big Bang attracts 24,000 fans in L.A." The Korea Herald. Retrieved 2017-03-14.
- Ho, Stewart (November 16, 2012). "Big Bang Wraps Up Americas Concert Tour With Successful Concert in Peru". Visit Korea. Korea Tourism Organization. Retrieved 2017-03-14.
- "Big Bang Starts Japanese Dome Concerts with 100,000 Roaring Fans". Mwave. M.net. November 26, 2012. Retrieved 2017-03-14.
- Choi, Hyun-jung (December 6, 2012). "BigBang finishes their show at Tokyo Dome". Yahoo! Lifestyle Singapore. Yahoo!. Retrieved 2017-03-14.
- "Big Bang's U.S. Concert Tickets Sell Out in Two Hours". KBS World. Korean Broadcasting System. September 25, 2012. Retrieved 2017-03-14.
- Baek, Byung-yeul. "Big Bang to release live album". The Korea Times. Retrieved 2017-03-14.
- Choi, Hyun-jung (December 24, 2012). "BigBang's show in Fukuoka successfully finished". Yahoo! Lifestyle Singapore. Yahoo!. Retrieved 2017-03-14.
- Choi, Hyun-jung (January 13, 2013). "BigBang's Osaka Dome concerts successfully finished". Yahoo! Finance. Yahoo!. Retrieved 2017-03-14.
- "K-Pop Tours the World: A Case Study BIGBANG" (PDF). Live Nation. Retrieved 2017-03-14.
- "BIGBANG ALIVE TOUR 2012 IN JAPAN SPECIAL FINAL IN DOME 2/24(日)放送决定！". TBS. Retrieved December 5, 2012.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Big Bang Alive Galaxy Tour 2012.|