Big Boss (musician)
|Birth name||Jiří Valter|
|Also known as||Big Boss|
|Born||1952 (age 65–66)
|Genres||Black metal, Progressive metal|
Big Boss was born in the Czech Republic around 1952 to pianist and professor Milan Valter. He started as a blues vocalist before moving to hard rock singer and finally to metal. According to him, "[a]ll these styles are mixed, either in some of my songs or singing. Mostly in my singing". In late 1987, he founded the black metal band Root together with guitarist Blackie.
Big Boss launched his side project Equirhodont with his Root bandmates Ashok and Igor in 2002. In addition to his activities with these two bands, he has also recorded three solo albums.
Big Boss founded the Czech branch of the Church of Satan in 1991. He claims to have been appointed a High Priest in the Church of Satan by Anton LaVey. He still lives his life according to Satanism but delegated the branch’s leadership to younger members around 2004 and now believes that "everything that smells of organization is shit".
It has often been pretended that Big Boss was homosexual. He has denied this and stated: “But if they say, that I'm homosexual so it is their problem, not mine. Perhaps it is their wishful thinking. Perhaps when they masturbate so they fantasise me and I'm unattainable idol for them... really I don't know.”
Big Boss translated several books to Czech.
- Grandiose Magus (2003)
- Black Crystal (2004)
- Q7 (1994)
- Belial’s Wind (1998)
- Doomy Ballads (2008)
- Moonspell - At the Image of Pain from Memorial Album
- Helheim- Oaken Dragons and The Thrall and the Master from The Journeys and Experiences of Death
- Behemoth - Jáma pekel (Master's Hammer cover) from Ezkaton
- Christian Wachter: Root. Hoffen auf eine rosigere Zukunft. In: Legacy, no. 76, p. 158f.
- Diana Glöckner: Root. Satans Söhne. In: Metal Hammer, January 2012, p. 94.
- Maciek: Roots Of Evil.
- Chris D.: Big Boss (Root) Interviewed, 21 December 2011, accessed on 20 December 2012.
- Root biography, accessed on 16 December 2012.
- Martina Dvořáková: Malé děti nepožírám.