Big Brother (2020 film)
|Edited by||K. R. Gourishankar|
|Music by||Deepak Dev|
|Distributed by||S Talkies|
Carnival Movie Network
|Budget||32 crore INR|
|Box office||12.4 crore INR|
Big Brother is a 2020 Indian Malayalam-language action thriller film written, directed, and co-produced by Siddique. It was jointly produced by S Talkies, Shaman International, and Vaishaka Cynyma, in association with Carnival Movie Network. The film stars Mohanlal in the title role, along with Arbaaz Khan, Vishnu Unnikrishnan, Sarjano Khalid, Anoop Menon, Honey Rose, Mirna Menon, Gaadha, Siddique, and Tini Tom in supporting cast. Big Brother marks Khan's debut appearance in Malayalam cinema. The songs and background score for the film was composed by Deepak Dev.
The plot follows Sachidanandan / Sachi (Mohanlal), who is released from penitentiary after a 24-year long double life sentence, as he tries to cope up with his family and outside world, a threat jeopardizes his peaceful life. The film began principal photography in July 2019 and was completed in December. It was shot extensively in Bangalore, and the remaining in Mysore, Mangalore, Ernakulam, and Coimbatore. Big Brother was released worldwide on 16 January 2020.
A working prisoner is getting beaten up by a convict named Govind Raj. The prisoner beaten up gets saved by another prisoner named Sachidanandan [Sachi].. Later he is called to the station, and he comes to know that he will be released from prison very soon. He also receives a letter from his brother saying that a surprise awaits him as he gets released. As he goes through the letter, old memories flash back in his mind.
Sachi's father was about to remarry. Sachi was very excited about getting a new mother. He also saw that the mother had a son which was going to be his step-brother named Vishnu. He tries to befriend and love Vishnu, but he rejects him but later on starts accepting him. His step-mother is also going to have a new baby. Once after returning from a function Sachi, witnesses his step mother harassed by her ex-husband and tries to take away Vishnu. Sachi kills the man while saving his brother and mother. He goes to a juvenile home for his crime, and over there, he befriends Khan, Ghani and Pareekkar. Once, he witnesses Khan and Ghani getting beaten up by a sadistic police officer. Sachi kills the officer while trying to save his friends and hence goes to a central jail because he was an adult aged 16. He is sentenced for two life term sentences. In the prison, he discovers his ability to see in the dark.
As he exits the prison, he is well-received by his younger brother, who was born after he went to jail who was Manu. He was also received by his prison friends Pareekkar, Khan and Ghani. They invite Sachi to join them to work with Edwin Moses, who is a drug mafia leader. Sachi warns them and decides to lead a peaceful life with his family. The surprise awaiting him was that his brother Dr.Vishnu was soon to marry Vandhana, who was a doctor, and the marriage was postponed so that Sachi can witness the marriage as Vishnu was adamant. The marriage takes place, and as Vandhana seeks Sachi's blessings, she realizes that he was the one who saved her from a gang and in the process of saving her, Sachi's back was scratched by a sickle. The next day Vandhana forces Sachi to tell the truth about him.
When the police found out that Sachi could see in the dark, he and many other prisoners were sent for commando operations. They were often sent unarmed to face armed opponents. Sachi's jail term was extended as every time he went for the operation, the report written was that he jumped or escaped from the jail. Many prisoners never returned. Their bodies were found in random places. A police officer named Vedantham IPS approaches Sachi. He explains to him that the drug mafia has returned stronger as ever, and it is controlled by a person whom no one has seen named Edwin Moses. He tells Sachi that innocent people are used for the drug business without their knowledge. Sachi rejects it, saying that he wants to live peacefully with his family.
Sachi and his family faces many troubles from Edwin Moses and Shetty. Later Shetty explains to Sachi that Edwin is doing all this for a drug container worth crores which is in Shetty's control. Sachi finds his friends with an alliance with Edwin Moses but reveals to him that they had nothing to do with it unless a gangster named Muthan died. Edwin had been pestering them for the container. It was revealed that Sachi had the container. He had stolen it from Muthan earlier. Edwin's men attack Sachi and his friends. Sachi fights and defeats them when Vedantham arrives and kills Khan and Pareekkar, while Ghani survives. Sachi calls Edwin Moses from Pareekkar's phone, and it is revealed that Edwin Moses was none other than Vedantham. Enraged by this, Sachi destroys the container in front of Edwin Moses and kills him. In the credits, Sachi repairs the old car as he reunites with his family.
- Mohanlal as Sachidanandan / Sachi
- Arbaaz Khan as Vedantham IPS (voiceover by Vineeth)
- Anoop Menon as Dr. Vishnu, Sachi's brother
- Sarjano Khalid as Manu, Sachi's brother
- Honey Rose as Dr. Vandhana Vishnu
- Vishnu Unnikrishnan as Ghani
- Adhiti Menon as Arya Shetty (Voice By Raveena Ravi)
- Siddique as Shetty, Arya's father
- Gaadha as Gemini Manu
- Irshad as Pareekkar
- Tini Tom as Khan
- Devan as ADGP Prathapachandra Menon
- Janardhanan as Vallyammavan
- Dinesh Panicker as Mohanachandran, Sachi's father
- John Vijay as Govind Raj
- Abu Salim as D'Souza
- Asif Basra as Muthan
- Chetan Hansraj as Vinayaraj
- Nirmal Palazhi as Velappan, servant
- Kollam Sudhi as Chakrapani, Servant
- Anjali Krishna as Radhika, Sachi's stepmother
- Majeed as Kalyan Kumar, Gemini's father
- Adhish Praveen as Young Khani
- Master Ajas as Young Pareekar
- Master Nahan as Young Khan
- Mukundan as Jail Superintendent
- Appa Haja as Karthikeyan
- Shilpa Ajayan as Gemini's sister
- Ahran Chaudhary
- Shaju Sreedhar
In May 2018, Siddique revealed in an interview to The New Indian Express that his next Malayalam film is with Mohanlal and it will be released in April 2019. Later, media outlets reported that the film has been titled Big Brother. Soon, Siddique revealed that it is a big budget film with action and humour, and it would begin production in November that year. Denying the reports of Nayanthara and Innocent being cast in the film, he said "we are yet to confirm the cast as I have only a basic thread in my mind and am yet to start scripting". Big Brother was officially announced by Mohanlal through his social media on 9 October 2018 by sharing a title poster.
It was said to be jointly produced by Siddique's and Jenso Jose's S Talkies, Philipose K. Joseph's and Manu Maliackal's Shaman International, and Vaishak Rajan's Vaishaka Cynyma. Big Brother was initially planned with a budget of ₹28 crore, but it went up to ₹32 crore while in production and the corporate company Carnival Movie Network joined the project to invest the additional money. S Talkies and Carnival Movie Network also distributes the film. A pooja ceremony for the film was held on 24 April 2019, followed by a recording session by music director Deepak Dev. Siddique was completing the final draft of screenplay in May 2019.
More cast were revealed in May 2019, including Arbaaz Khan, Anoop Menon, Vishnu Unnikrishnan, Sarjano Khalid, Chemban Vinod Jose, Siddique, Janardanan, and Tini Tom in pivotal roles. Big Brother marks the Malayalam film debut of Bollywood actor Khan. He plays Vedandam IPS, an encounter specialist. Mohanlal plays Sachithanandan, and Menon and Khalid portrays his younger brothers. Menon plays doctor Vishnu, according to him, Vishnu is the "nicest character" he has played so far. Regina Cassandra and Satna Titus were in talks to play the female lead roles that month. The former for the role of Arya Shetty, the daughter of a wealthy businessman and Sachithanandan's romantic interest, and the latter as the pair of Khalid's character. Titus was confirmed in that month along with another debutante Shilpa Ajayan as the pair of Menon's character. Cassandra opted out from the film due to scheduling conflicts. She was replaced by newcomer Mirnaa Menon, whose casting took place only few days before filming. Gaadha plays one of the three female lead roles in the film, it is her first Malayalam appearance and second film after Nimir.
Principal photography began on 11 July 2019 in Ernakulam. Filming was initially scheduled to begin on 20 June 2019 with Mohanlal joining on 1 July after finishing his work in Ittymaani: Made in China. The film was mostly shot at Bangalore with a few scenes at Kochi. Mohanlal was filming scenes in Kochi in September. In October, filming took place near the HMT factory in Bangalore. The team were also shooting in Mysore in that month. Lalitha Mahal palace was a filming location. The film was to be shot at the streets of Mysore but heavy downpour caused delay and filming was restricted to indoor sequences. Final schedule of filming resumed in mid-November. Final schedule took place in places such as Ernakulam and Coimbatore. Mirnaa had 100 days shoot. Filming was completed in December 2019, taking longer than expected. The budget also hiked to ₹32 crore. The stunts were choreographed by Supreme Sundar and Stunt Silva, and the songs were choreographed by Brinda, Dinesh Kumar, and Prasanna Sujit.
|Soundtrack album by|
|Released||21 December 2019|
A. T. Studios
The film features a background score and three original songs composed by Deepak Dev, with lyrics by Rafeeq Ahamed and Santhosh Varma. The audio launch function of the film was held at Darbar Hall Ground, Ernakulam on 26 December 2019. The soundtrack album was released by the label Millennium Audios on 21 December 2019.
|1.||"Kando Kando"||Rafeeq Ahammed||4:04|
|2.||"Oru Dinam"||Rafeeq Ahammed||Anand Bhaskar||4:19|
Big Brother was released worldwide on 16 January 2020. The film is a huge flop at the box office , earning just 12.4 crore with a 32 crore budget , therefore being a box office bomb.
- "Mohanlal's film with Siddique titled 'Big Brother'". The News Minute. 11 October 2018. Archived from the original on 25 May 2019. Retrieved 25 May 2019.
- "Mohanlal to shooting for Malayalam film Big Brother from July 1". The News Minute. 14 May 2019. Archived from the original on 24 May 2019. Retrieved 25 May 2019.
- Rajendran, Gopinath (9 May 2018). "'Rajinikanth was to do Bhaskar Oru Rascal'". The New Indian Express. Archived from the original on 26 May 2019. Retrieved 26 May 2019.
- Moviebuzz (30 May 2018). "Mohanlal to team up with director Siddique for a film titled 'Big Brother'?". Sify. Archived from the original on 20 October 2018. Retrieved 26 May 2019.
- "Mohanlal and Siddique to team up for project titled 'Big Brother'". The News Minute. 5 June 2018. Archived from the original on 26 May 2019. Retrieved 26 May 2019.
- Sidhardhan, Sanjith (3 June 2018). "Mohanlal, Siddique to team up for an action-comedy". The Times of India. Retrieved 26 May 2019.
- "Mohanlal teams up with Siddique". Deccan Chronicle. 11 October 2018. Archived from the original on 26 May 2019. Retrieved 26 May 2019.
- Mohanlal's Big Brother Exclusive Interview | Director Siddique | Kaumudy TV (YouTube) (in Malayalam). Kaumudy TV. 9 May 2019. Retrieved 26 May 2019.
- "Big Brother's Pooja Held in Kochi". www.thecompleteactor.com. 25 April 2019. Archived from the original on 26 May 2019. Retrieved 26 May 2019.
- "Mohanlal launches Big Brother pooja". Times of India. 26 April 2019. Archived from the original on 2 May 2019. Retrieved 25 May 2019.
- Shrijith, Sajin (11 May 2019). "Mohanlal to join Big Brother sets by July 1". The New Indian Express. Archived from the original on 25 May 2019. Retrieved 25 May 2019.
- Sidhardhan, Sanjith (5 May 2019). "Arbaaz Khan to play an IPS officer in his Mollywood debut". The Times of India. Retrieved 11 July 2019.
- George, Anjana (24 October 2019). "Mohanlal has so many stories. Love listening to them on sets: Anoop Menon". The Times of India. Retrieved 28 October 2019.
- Sidhardhan, Sanjith (19 May 2019). "Satna Titus to star in Mohanlal's Big Brother". The Times of India. Retrieved 11 July 2019.
- Sidhardhan, Sanjith (14 December 2019). "When Siddique sir finalised me, I didn't know it was for a Lalettan film: Mirnaa". The Times of India. Retrieved 20 December 2019.
- Soman, Deepa (21 November 2019). "Actress Gaadha: On my first day, I got to shoot with Mohanlal". The Times of India. Retrieved 20 December 2019.
- Sidhardhan, Sanjith (9 July 2019). "Mohanlal to begin shooting Big Brother from July 11". The Times of India. Retrieved 11 July 2019.
- Sreekumar, Priya (28 September 2019). "Happy ending of a filmy dream". Deccan Chronicle. Retrieved 28 October 2019.
- "Photo: Sanchari Vijay meets his favorite star Mohanlal". The Times of India. 11 October 2019. Retrieved 28 October 2019.
- Lokesh, Vinay (27 October 2019). "When Lalettan met Sanju Bhai in Mysuru". The Times of India. Retrieved 28 October 2019.
- Sidhardhan, Sanjith (26 October 2019). "Siddique reveals what led to the Mohanlal-Sanjay Dutt photo". The Times of India. Retrieved 28 October 2019.
- Sidhardhan, Sanjith. "Mohanlal's Big Brother release pushed to next year". The Times of India. Retrieved 9 November 2019.
- "Big Salute to UAE". Deccan Chronicle. 2 December 2019. Retrieved 20 December 2019.
- "Big Brother (Original Motion Picture Soundtrack)". iTunes. 21 December 2019. Retrieved 15 January 2020.
- Web Desk (25 May 2021). "ഹിന്ദി മൊഴിമാറ്റ പതിപ്പുകളില് വരവേല്പ്പ് 'ബിഗ് ബ്രദറി'നും; ഒന്പത് ദിവസത്തില് ഒന്നരക്കോടി കാഴ്ചകള്". Asianet News (in Malayalam). Retrieved 27 May 2021.