Big Business (band)
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (December 2008)|
|Genres||Heavy metal, sludge metal, stoner rock|
|Associated acts||The Melvins, Karp, Tight Bro's From Way Back When, Murder City Devils, Dead Low Tide|
|Past members||Toshi Kasai|
Big Business started as a two piece band composed of Jared Warren of Karp and The Tight Bros From Way Back When, and Coady Willis of Murder City Devils. Their sound has been characterized as a bombastic and frantic low end attack, marked by Warren's signature vocal delivery. The band released its first album, "Head for the Shallow", on January 25, 2005.
In late 2006, after relocating to Los Angeles, Jared and Coady both became members of The Melvins, first appearing on "(A) Senile Animal". The tour, titled "the Double-Drumming Rock for Peace tour", featured Warren and Willis playing a set as Big Business before being joined by Crover and Osborne for a set as the Melvins. While on tour, Big Business played with David Scott Stone who would later play guitar and Minimoog Voyager on all songs from their 2007 release "Here Come the Waterworks".
After releasing Here Come the Waterworks to critical acclaim, Big Business was given an opening spot on the summer leg of the Tool tour. Toshi Kasai played guitar for Big Business throughout this tour.
After the fall US tour ended, Big Business started recording material for the new Melvins album, entitled "Nude With Boots", which was released on July 8, 2008.
On March 9, 2008 Toshi Kasai was introduced onstage as the third member of Big Business. Both the band and Toshi verified this on their respective Myspace pages. Big Business released their third album "Mind the Drift" on May 12, 2009. The album, produced by Phil Ek, who has produced both of their previous albums. was given a "pre-release" preview at the website http://mindthedrift.com/
In October, 2010 after a year of not playing shows, they posted on their Myspace that they had added another guitarist Scott Martin (400 Blows, Crom), officially making them a "Power Quartet".
Big Business toured with Red Fang and American Sharks in the spring of 2014.
- Current members
- Jared Warren - bass, lead vocals (2004–present)
- Coady Willis - drums, backing vocals (2004–present)
- Scott Martin - guitar, backing vocals (2010–present)
- Former members
- Guest guitarists
- John Devoy ("O.G" and "Easter Romantic" on Head for the Shallow)
- Dave Hernandez ("Eis Hexe" and "Off Off Broadway" on Head for the Shallow)
- David Scott Stone (on Here Come the Waterworks)
- Dale Crover (live, 2007–2008)
- Head for the Shallow (2005; Hydra Head Records (CD), Wäntage USA (LP))
- Here Come the Waterworks (2007, Hydra Head Records)
- Mind the Drift (2009, Hydra Head Records)
- Battlefields Forever (2013, Gold Metal Records)
- Big Business (Tour EP) (2004, Wäntage USA)
- Big Business (Tour EP II) (2006, self-released)
- Big Business (Tour EP III) (2008, self-released)
- Biz Bot Remixes (2009, Hydra Head Records)
- Quadruple Single (2011, Gold Metal Records)
- Battlefields / Into the Light (Tour 7") (2012, Gold Metal Records)
- True Gold (Digital EP) (2015, Gold Metal Records)
- "Heavy | MTV Hive". Headbangersblog.mtv.com. Retrieved 2011-09-14.
- Official website
- Myspace site
- Live video of Easter Romantic from YouTube
- Interview at Swampfoot Records
- Video interview from groundcontrolmag.com
- Video interview from metalkult.com