Big Comic Original
Big Comic Original 2007 Issue 2.5
|Frequency||Semimonthly on the 5th and 20th|
Big Comic Original (ビッグコミックオリジナル Biggu Komikku Orijinaru) is a Japanese seinen manga magazine published by Shogakukan, aimed at an older adult and mostly male audience. It is a sister magazine to Big Comic, the biggest difference being that it goes on sale twice a month in the weeks Big Comic doesn't. Cover artwork usually features a dog or cat, and a haiku. The dozen or so manga serials running at any given time feature a wide variety of material, from historical dramas and suspense to sports and romance, with relatively little science fiction or fantasy.
Launched in 1972, it has published over 1000 issues, typically running to about 350 pages in a black-and-white, saddle-stapled format, selling for 340 yen (2015). More than 83% of readers are reported to be over 30 years old, with female readers comprising about a quarter of the total. Most readers are company employees. Circulation in 2015 was reported at 539,500.
Manga artists and series
- Mitsuru Adachi
- George Akiyama
- Yoshiie Gouda
- Mitsuo Hashimoto
- Kenshi Hirokane
- Shin'ichi Ishizuka
- Hideo Iura
- Eiji Kazama
- Kenichi Kitami
- Kō Kojima
- Hige to Boin (1974-2004)
- Nakayama Masaaki
- Shinji Mizushima
- Abu-san (1973-2014)
- Motoka Murakami
- Ryuu – Ron (1991–2006)
- Yuji Nishi
- Jiro Taniguchi
- Guardians of the Louvre (2014)
- Osamu Uoto
- Naoki Urasawa
- Takatoshi Yamada
- Jason Thompson (2007). Manga: The Complete Guide. Del Rey Books. p. 327-239. ISBN 978-0-345-48590-8.
- "Men's Manga" (in Japanese). Japanese Magazine Publishers Association. September 2016. Retrieved November 6, 2016.
- Frederik L. Schodt (1996). Dreamland Japan: writings on modern manga. Stone Bridge Press. p. 97. ISBN 1-880656-23-X.
- Clements, Jonathan. "Manga Snapshot: Big Comic Original." NEO, Jan. 2011, p. 24-25.
- Japan Magazine Publishers Association Magazine Data June 2015. Retrieved Oct. 28, 2015.
- Big Comic Original Official Website (in Japanese)
- Big Comic Original at Anime News Network's encyclopedia
|This article about an anime or manga magazine is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.
See tips for writing articles about magazines. Further suggestions might be found on the article's talk page.