Big Four international beauty pageants
|This article may rely excessively on sources too closely associated with the subject, potentially preventing the article from being verifiable and neutral. (April 2015)|
The Big Four is a group of four female international beauty pageants according to Missosology. These are Miss World (founded in 1951), Miss Universe (1952), Miss International (1960) and Miss Earth (2001).
The criteria for the Big Four inclusion is based on specific standards such as the pageant's global prominence and prestige approved by worldwide media; the quality and quantity of crowned delegates recognized by international franchisees and pageant aficionados; the winner's post-pageant activities; the pageant's longevity, consistency, and history; the sincerity of the pageant's specific cause, platform, and advocacy; the overall pre-pageant activities, production quality and global telecast; the enormity of Internet traffic; and the extent of popularity amongst pageant fans across the globe.
Miss World pageant is the oldest surviving major international beauty pageant. It was created in the United Kingdom by Eric Morley in 1951. Since his death in 2000, Morley's wife, Julia Morley, co-chairs the pageant.
Miss Universe is an annual international beauty contest that is run by the Miss Universe Organization. The contest was founded in 1952 by California clothing company Pacific Mills. The pageant became part of Kayser-Roth and then Gulf+Western Industries, before being acquired by Donald Trump in 1996.
Miss International, also called "Miss International Beauty", this pageant is not based on looks alone. Contestants are expected to serve as "Ambassadors of Peace and Beauty", showing tenderness, benevolence, friendship, beauty, intelligence, ability to take action, and great international sensibility. The ultimate goal of the Miss International beauty pageant is to promote world peace, goodwill, and understanding.
Miss Earth is an annual pageant organised by Philippine-based Carousel Productions through the Miss Earth Foundation. The non-profit organisation describes itself with "aims to increase the awareness levels and knowledge on current environmental issues and what actions can be done by power of broadcasting and other media campaigns locally, nationally and globally". Apart from a strong emphasis on environmental protection programs, Miss Earth also aims to showcase and promote various tourist destinations.
Most successful countries
In winning Miss Earth 2005, Venezuela became the second country to win all four pageants. With victory at Miss Earth 2013, Venezuela also became the first country to win all four of the pageants multiple times, and also the only country that has had at least one crown during 4 consecutive years.
Venezuela is the most successful country in the history of the Big Four pageants, having won 7 Miss Universe titles (1979-2013), 6 Miss World titles (1955-2011), 6 Miss International titles (1985-2010) and 2 Miss Earth titles (2005, 2013) for a total of 21 victories, followed by the Philippines having 2 Miss Universe titles (1969, 1973), 1 Miss World title (2013), 5 Miss International titles (1964-2013) and 2 Miss Earth titles (2008, 2014) for a total of 10 victories to be the second country to win all the crown in the history.
These are the countries which have won all the titles of the Big Four pageants:
|Country/territory||Miss World||Miss Universe||Miss International||Miss Earth||Wins|
|1 Brazil||1971||1963, 1968||1968||2004, 2009||6|
|2 Venezuela||1955, 1981, 1984, 1991, 1995, 2011||1979, 1981, 1986, 1996, 2008, 2009, 2013||1985, 1997, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2010||2005, 2013||21|
|3 Philippines||2013||1969, 1973||1964, 1970, 1979, 2005, 2013||2008, 2014||10|
Note: 1first country to win all four. 2second country to win all four. 3third country to win all four.
Big Four pageant winners by year
Big Four pageant winners by year
- List of Miss World titleholders
- List of Miss Universe titleholders
- List of Miss International titleholders
- List of Miss Earth titleholders
- List of beauty contests
- Major Male pageants
- International Beauty Pageant Ranking
- "Tianjin Miss World China Pageant comes to a close". China Daily. 28 August 2009. Retrieved 24 May 2011.
- "Miss Universe on August 23". Timesofmalta.com. Retrieved 24 May 2011.
- "Pageant News Bureau – Miss World: A long, glittering history". Pageant.com. Retrieved 24 May 2011.
- Washington Post: Trump and Rosie Argue Over Miss USA
- Miss Venezuela Stefania Fernandez is Miss Universe 2009
- Miss Universe crown eludes Africa 55 times
- Miss Universe Pageant Defends Credibility Amid Criticism Show is Degrading, Unprofessional
- Channel-i to telecast Miss Universe 2004 live!
- "Miss Germany Tops Beauties". The Hartford Courant. 14 August 1965. Retrieved 16 November 2010.
Ingrid Fiffi Finger, was named Miss International Beauty Friday.
- History of Miss International. Miss-international.org. Retrieved on 2010-10-21.
- rai samson. "Miss Earth® Foundation | About Us". Missearthfoundation.org. Retrieved 2014-05-13.
- "History". Missworld.com. 2007-12-01. Retrieved 2014-05-13.
- "Contestant Profiles". Miss Universe. Retrieved 2014-05-13.
- "Miss International Beauty Pageant 2014". Miss-international.org. Retrieved 2014-05-13.
- "The Miss Earth Pageant". Missearth.tv. Retrieved 2014-05-13.
- Miss World country participation lists
- Miss Universe country participation lists
- Miss International country participation lists
- Miss Earth country participation lists