Big Jay Oakerson
|Big Jay Oakerson|
Big Jay Oakerson performing at The Stand in May 2016.
|Born||December 7, 1977|
|Medium||Television, stand-up, radio, podcasting|
|Genres||Observational comedy, crude humor, off-color humor, shock humor, insult comedy, sarcasm|
|Subject(s)||Everyday life, current events, pop culture, human behavior, sex, race relations, self-deprecation|
Life and career
Oakerson was born in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania and grew up in Blackwood, New Jersey with his mother who worked full-time, his father was absent most of his childhood. He enrolled at Camden Community College but left after a month to pursue comedy. He worked as a chauffeur/bouncer for strippers and children's parties to make ends meet. He has opened for Dave Attell and toured with Korn before touring as a headliner.
His television credits include Comedy Central's Premium Blend, Comedy Central Presents, Inside Amy Schumer, Tough Crowd with Colin Quinn, and This Is Not Happening with Ari Shaffir, along with multiple appearances on BET's Comic View, HBO's P. Diddy's Bad Boys of Comedy and Crashing. He co-hosted Movies on Tap on Spike TV. He played Neil on the series Z Rock and appeared in the pilot episode of Louie, as well as an episode in the third season. On December 1, 2014, Oakerson headlined a free charity show for supporters of morning show Preston & Steve and radio station WMMR in Philadelphia for the annual Campout for Hunger which supports Philabundance. On June 17, 2016, Oakerson released his first hour long special titled, Live At Webster Hall. He also hosted Big Jay Oakerson's What's Your F@%king Deal?! on Seeso.
Podcast and radio show host
Oakerson hosts a podcast called Legion of Skanks with Luis J. Gomez and Dave Smith. He also co-hosts the podcast The SDR Show on Gas Digital Network's station with Ralph Sutton who co-owns the network with Luis J. Gomez. Oakerson co-hosts The Bonfire on Sirius XM's Comedy Central station with fellow comedian, Dan Soder.
Oakerson is separated from his wife Carla and they share custody of their daughter Izabella. He has been in a long-term relationship with Christine Evans, a radio producer. Oakerson is Jewish.
- "Big Jay Oakerson on Twitter". Twitter.
- Leijn, Erik (July 21, 2011). Big and tall tales: There’s nothing small about Big Jay Oakerson and his big wild stories. Archived May 8, 2012, at the Wayback Machine Montreal Mirror
- Zinoman, Jason A Blunt Yet Kindly Bedside Manner, Big Jay Oakerson, a Master of the Dirty Joke New York Times. April 30, 2015
- Loeffler, William (November 25, 2009). Comedian Jay Oakerson's career path gives him plenty of material.[permanent dead link] Pittsburgh Tribune-Review
- "Preston & Steve's Camp Out for Hunger Collects Record Food Donations". Greater Media Philadelphia. Retrieved April 9, 2015.
- Tomsic, Jeff (June 17, 2016), Big Jay Oakerson: Live at Webster Hall, retrieved July 21, 2016
- "Big Jay Oakerson's 'What's Your F@%king?!' Deal Has a Trailer and It Looks Amazing". The Interrobang. Retrieved August 22, 2020.
- "Legion of Skanks Podcast". Archived from the original on May 7, 2013. Retrieved October 20, 2013.
- Stanhope, Kate. "Comedy Central Radio Launches First Live Weekly Show". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved August 22, 2020.
- "18 of the Hardest Hits From the Big Jay Oakerson Roast, And Who Said Them - The Interrobang". July 17, 2015.