Big John Steak & Onion
|Industry||Fast Food Restaurants|
|Founder||John E. Klobucar|
|Headquarters||Mt. Morris Township, MI, USA|
Number of locations
|John D. Klobucar|
Number of employees
|Website||Big Johns Steak & Onion.net|
Big John Steak & Onion, aka Steak and Onion and formerly Slick-Chick, Inc., is a regional sub sandwich chain. The name came from a nickname that the founder, John E. Klobucar, had received from his friends. The chain is considered a restaurant icon of the Flint Area.
John E. Klobucar opened the first Kentucky Fried Chicken in 1963 Flint, Michigan, the first outside of the Detroit area. He incorporated his business on August 16, 1967 as Slick-Chick, Inc. A decade later in 1973, Klobucar started Big John Steak and Onion, the first restaurant to serve submarine sandwiches in the Flint Area. On September 16, 1975, Slick-Chick changed its name to Big John Steak & Onion, Inc. Klobucar later opened a KFC in Owosso, but sold the Flint location. The restaurant grew into a chain of 15 stores across Mid-Michigan.
- "Big John Steak & Onion Incorporated". Manta.com. Manta Media Inc. Retrieved August 16, 2013.
- Assumed Names: Steak and Onion. State of Michigan. Retrieved August 16, 2013.
- Confer, Karen (May 12, 2011). "Founder of Flint restaurant Big John Steak and Onion dies". The Flint Journal. Retrieved 7 June 2011.
- Hillaker, Allison (2011-05-13). "The founder of 'Big Johns Steak and Onion' has died". NBC25. Retrieved 7 June 2011.
- Articles of Incorporation of Slick-Chick, Inc. State of Michigan. Retrieved August 16, 2013.
- Certificate of Amendment to the Articles of Incorporation of Slick-Chick, Inc. State of Michigan. Retrieved August 16, 2013.