Big Kahuna Burger
|Big Kahuna Burger|
|First appearance||Pulp Fiction (1994)|
|Last appearance||Once Upon a Time in Hollywood (2019)|
|Created by||Quentin Tarantino|
Big Kahuna Burger is a fictional chain of Hawaiian-themed fast food restaurants that has appeared in films by Quentin Tarantino and Robert Rodriguez, including Death Proof, Four Rooms, Pulp Fiction, and From Dusk till Dawn. The packaging was created by Tarantino's old friend Jerry Martinez. The restaurant features most prominently in Tarantino's Pulp Fiction, in which Samuel L. Jackson's character Jules eats a Big Kahuna Burger and remarks, "This is a tasty burger!"
In Pulp Fiction, the burger appears to be a typical American beef burger with cheese, lettuce, and tomato on a hamburger bun. Multiple real restaurants have featured a "Big Kahuna Burger" on their menus, including Inskip Grill located in Tarantino’s hometown of Knoxville, Tennessee.
|Pulp Fiction||1994||Written and directed by Tarantino.||Brett is eating Big Kahuna Burger when Jules and Vincent show up to his apartment. Jules refers to the restaurant by name.|
|Four Rooms||1995||Co-written and directed by Tarantino and Rodriguez.||In the segment "The Man From Hollywood", after Ted comes back to listen to the proposal, there is a Big Kahuna Burger drink cup on the bar next to Angela.|
|From Dusk till Dawn||1996||Written by Tarantino, directed by Rodriguez.||George Clooney's character Seth Gecko gets takeout from Big Kahuna Burger.|
|Romy and Michele's High School Reunion||1997||Starring Mira Sorvino||A Big Kahuna Burger takeout bag is seen in Romy and Michele's apartment.|
|The Adventures of Sharkboy and Lavagirl||2005||Written and directed by Rodriguez.||A Big Kahuna Burger takeout bag appears on the dock during the dream in which Max meets Sharkboy.|
|Death Proof||2007||Written and directed by Tarantino||Kurt Russell's character Stuntman Mike asks Jungle Julia about a billboard "near Big Kahuna Burger".|
|From Dusk till Dawn: The Series||2014||Developed by Rodriguez.||In the first season, a scene takes place inside a Big Kahuna Burger.|
|Once Upon a Time in Hollywood||2019||Written and directed by Tarantino||A Big Kahuna Burger billboard is seen on a passing bus.|
|Look up big kahuna in Wiktionary, the free dictionary.|
- Richard Whittaker (25 March 2014). "'From Dusk Till Dawn' Bites into a Big Kahuna". The Austin Chronicle.
- Marina Grishakova; Markku Lehtimäki (2004). Intertextuality and Intersemiosis. p. 135. ISBN 978-9985-56-911-5.
13–15 February 2003
- Entertainment News Service (12 July 1996). "Product Placement Takes a Little Twist". Greensboro News and Record. Archived from the original on 16 August 2020.
- Maui Grille Archived 5 January 2009 at the Wayback Machine, in Surprise, Arizona with a "Big Kahuna Burger"
- "The Big Kahuna Burger" Archived 4 January 2010 at the Wayback Machine at Pancho and Leftys, Hare (near Taylor, Texas)
- "World Famous Big Kahuna's" Archived 12 August 2012 at the Wayback Machine in Pacific Beach, San Diego, CA. A "Big Kahuna Burger" described as ' "The Best burger in Town! Featured in the movie "Pulp Fiction"
- "Brass Monkey Tiki Bar, Copenhagen, Denmark: kahuna burger"
- "the big Kahuna burger". Atomic Burger menu. Britain. Archived from the original on 18 September 2012. Retrieved 2 June 2013.
swiss cheese, pineapple & teriyaki sauce
- "Big Kahuna's, Imperial Beach, CA - Our Menu". Big Kahuna's, Imperial Beach. Retrieved 27 October 2017.
- "Quentin Tarantino's Influence on 'Romy and Michele's High School Reunion'". Entertainment Weekly. 2 May 1997.