|Single by The Notorious B.I.G.|
|from the album Ready to Die|
|B-side||"Who Shot Ya?"|
|Released||December 30, 1994|
|Recorded||June 1, 1994|
|The Notorious B.I.G. singles chronology|
"Big Poppa" is a song by American rapper The Notorious B.I.G.. It was released as the second single from his first studio album Ready to Die. It features a sample of the song "Between the Sheets" written by The Isley Brothers. "Big Poppa" was also nominated for Best Rap Solo Performance at the 1996 Grammy Awards. It also went on to win at the Billboard Music Awards.
There is an official remix released in 1995 featuring Jermaine Dupri, called "Big Poppa (So So Def Remix)", which has similar lyrics (Dupri replacing Puff Daddy) except Biggie has a new 3rd verse. This remix appeared as a single.
Background and content
The title is based on one of The Notorious B.I.G.'s many nicknames. The line "I love it when you call me Big Poppa" is sampled from his verse from the Super Cat song "Dolly My Baby," released in 1993. The song also samples the beat from The Isley Brothers' 1983 hit "Between the Sheets." It also makes a reference to original Bad Boy artist Craig Mack ("now check it, I got more Mack than Craig in the bed...").
The song was used in the 2001 film Hardball multiple times and used in the 2009 biographical movie Notorious. The song was mentioned in 2009 film, Madea Goes To Jail, as well as being used for the party scene in 2007's Superbad.
Omarion sampled the lyrics in his song "Let's Talk". The song was released in Maybach Music Group album, Self Made Vol. 2. (2012)
A Spanish version of the chorus was used in a Taco Bell commercial called "Grande Papi" (2013).
The American comedy film Paul Blart: Mall Cop 2 (2015) used the song in its second trailer.
Big Poppa track list
- A1 "Big Poppa" (Club Mix) (4:13)
- A2 "Warning" (Club Mix) (3:41)
- A3 "Big Poppa" (Instrumental) (4:13)
- B1 "Big Poppa" (Radio Edit) (4:12)
- B2 "Warning" (Radio Edit) (2:57)
- B3 "Warning" (Instrumental) (3:41)
- B4 "Who Shot Ya?"
- "Big Poppa" (radio edit)
- "Big Poppa" (remix radio edit)
- "Who Shot Ya?" (radio edit)
- "Big Poppa" (remix instrumental)
- "Big Poppa" (club mix)
- "Big Poppa" (remix club mix)
- "Who Shot Ya?" (club mix)
- "Warning" (club mix)
- "American certifications – Notorious B.I.G. – Big Poppa". Recording Industry Association of America.
- "Best-Selling Records of 1995". Billboard. BPI Communications. 108 (3): 56. January 20, 1996. ISSN 0006-2510. Retrieved May 5, 2015.
- "Billboard Top 100 - 1995". Archived from the original on 2009-08-15. Retrieved 2010-08-27.