Big Sandy Independent School District (Upshur County, Texas)
|Big Sandy Independent School District (Upshur County, Texas)|
|Big Sandy, Texas|
ESC Region 7 
|Type||Independent school district|
|Motto||Higher Expectations for All!|
|Grades||Pre-K through 12|
|Superintendent||Scott Beene |
|Schools||4 (2009-10) |
|Students and staff|
|Students||711 (2010-11) |
|Teachers||71.06 (2009-10)  (on full-time equivalent (FTE) basis)|
|Student-teacher ratio||9.91 (2009-10) |
|Athletic conference||UIL Class 1A Football Division I |
|District mascot||Wildcats |
|TEA District Accountability Rating for 2011||Academically Acceptable|
|Website||Big Sandy ISD|
Big Sandy Independent School District is a public school district based in Big Sandy, Texas (USA). The district is located in southwestern Upshur County and extends into a small portion of Wood County.
As of the 2010-2011 school year, the appraised valuation of property in the district was $177,403,000. The maintenance tax rate was $0.104 and the bond tax rate was $0.028 per $100 of appraised valuation.
In the 2011-2012 school year, the district had four open schools.
- Big Sandy High School
- Big Sandy Junior High
- Big Sandy Elementary
- Upshur County Alternative School
This section needs additional citations for verification. (July 2012) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
The Big Sandy High School football team has won three Texas Class B (now Class A) state championships; 1973, 1974 (co-championship with Celina after the finals game ended in a 0-0 tie), and 1975. The 1975 team set a then national record of 824 points scored in a season (they went 14-0 for the regular season including playoffs), while giving up only 15 points (and only being behind in a game only one time, an early 2-0 deficit to Groom in the championship game, which also were the only points given up to any opponent in its three state title games). This record was not broken until 1994 by a high school in Bloomington, California. The 1975 team included later notable NFL stars such as David Overstreet, a former running back for the Oklahoma Sooners and the Miami Dolphins, and Lovie Smith, head coach for the NFL Chicago Bears.
In 2005, the Wildcats again reached the state final game (Class A, vs Stratford), however they fell short by one point (21-20).
Kris Kelley, Mason Maxwell, Preston Beason, Jordan Womack, and Tae Keppard play football here.
- "Texas School Directory 2012" (PDF). Texas Education Agency. Retrieved 25 July 2012.
- "Search for Public School Districts – District Detail for Anderson-Shiro CISD". National Center for Education Statistics. Institute of Education Sciences. Retrieved 25 July 2012.
- "UIL Alignments". University Interscholastic League. Retrieved 25 July 2012.
- "Big Sandy High School Football". CBS Interactive. Retrieved 25 July 2012.
- "Texas Accountability System District Ratings for 2004 through 2011". Texas Education Agency. Archived from the original on 2 July 2012. Retrieved 25 July 2012.