Big Sky Ranch
This article relies too much on references to primary sources. (April 2014) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Big Sky Movie Ranch is a movie ranch located in Simi Valley, California, that has a long history of being used for the filming of Western television and film productions. This historic movie ranch is within the Los Angeles Studio Zone and has diverse, natural features such as hills, valleys, and isolated meadows. The area is also used for photography, weddings, and special occasions. The site is part of the 12,500 acres (5,058.57 ha) purchased by the Patterson Ranch Co. in 1903 to raise grain, cattle, hogs and sheep. The Ventura County Cultural Heritage Board designated several of these buildings County Landmark #71 in July 1981. Many of the sets were destroyed by a wildfire in 2003.
Television episodes and productions filmed there include: Rawhide, Gunsmoke, Little House on the Prairie, Highway to Heaven, Father Murphy, Carnivàle, The Thorn Birds and Westworld. Other films shot here include Coming to America (1988) starring Eddie Murphy, The Yellow Rose (1983-84), Tales from the Crypt (1989–1996), Sidekicks (1974), The Gambler Returns: The Luck of the Draw (1991) and Siringo (1996).
- "About Big Sky Movie Ranch". Big Sky Movie Ranch. Retrieved 29 April 2013.
- Cultural Heritage Board. "Ventura County Landmark Map" County of Ventura Planning Division Accessed 2 May 2014
- Freeman,, Roberta (October 31, 2003). "Stuff of dreams goes up in smoke at movie ranch". Ventura County Star. Archived from the original on 2018-06-19. Retrieved 2018-06-19.
- Sandberg, Bryn Elise (May 4, 2018). "Why 'Westworld,' 'Veep' and More Series Are Filming Outside of L.A." The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved 5 May 2018.
- Smith, Leo (April 30, 1992)"FLICKS / FILM AND VIDEO FILE: Big Sky Ranch open house is due." Los Angeles Times
- Schneider, Jerry L. (2015). Western Filming Locations Book 1. CP Entertainment Books. Pages 100-105. ISBN 9780692561348.
- Big Sky Movie Ranch
- Big Sky Ranch at The Internet Movie Database
- Big Sky Ranch at Bonanza: Scenery of The Ponderosa
|This article related to a film organization is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|