From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
|Look up big smoke in Wiktionary, the free dictionary.|
The Big Smoke may refer to:
Cities (as a nickname)
- Cardiff, Wales
- San Francisco, United States
- Brisbane, Australia
- Dublin, Ireland
- Glasgow, Scotland, United Kingdom
- Edinburgh, Scotland, United Kingdom
- Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
- Johannesburg, South Africa
- New York City, United States
- London, England, United Kingdom, labelled as such since the late 19th century, and applied in particular to the Great Smog of 1952
- Manchester, England, United Kingdom, during the industrial revolution
- Melbourne, Australia, labeled as such in the late 19th century during the industrial boom following the Victorian gold rush
- Sudbury, Ontario, labeled for Vale smelter's large smoke stack.
- Sydney, Australia
- Toronto, Ontario, Canada
- Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
- Mexico City, Mexico
- Auckland, New Zealand
- Belfast, Northern Ireland, United Kingdom
- Wellington, New Zealand
- Jack Johnson (boxer), referred to as "Big Smoke"
- "The Big Smoke", a book by Adrian Matejka, about Johnson
- Melvin "Big Smoke" Harris, fictional video game character of Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas
- The Big Smoke (publication), an Australian opinion site, also with an American version.
- The Big Smoke (novel), a 1959 novel by Australian writer D'Arcy Niland
|This disambiguation page lists articles associated with the title Big Smoke.
If an internal link led you here, you may wish to change the link to point directly to the intended article.