Big West Conference Men's Basketball Player of the Year
|Big West Conference Men's Basketball Player of the Year|
|Given for||the most outstanding basketball player in the Big West Conference|
|Most recent||T. J. Shorts, UC Davis|
The Big West Conference Men's Basketball Player of the Year is an annual basketball award given to the Big West Conference's most outstanding player. The conference was formed in 1969 and was known as the Pacific Coast Athletic Association until 1988. The award was first given following the 1969–70 season. No player has won the award three times, but there have been seven two-time players of the year. Larry Johnson of UNLV was also the national player of the year in 1990–91, the same season of his second consecutive Big West Player of the Year accolade.
Long Beach State has had the most all-time winners with 12. There have been three ties in the award's history, most recently in 2007–08. Among present Big West members, three schools have had no winners: Cal Poly, Cal State Northridge, and UC Riverside.
|†||Co-Players of the Year|
|*||Awarded a national Player of the Year award: |
Helms Foundation College Basketball Player of the Year (1904–05 to 1978–79)
UPI College Basketball Player of the Year (1954–55 to 1995–96)
Naismith College Player of the Year (1968–69 to present)
John R. Wooden Award (1976–77 to present)
|Player (X)||Denotes the number of times the player has been awarded the Big West Player of the Year award at that point|
Winners by school
|School (year joined)||Winners||Years|
|Long Beach State (1969)||12||1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1974, 1975, 1977, 2000, 2007, 2011, 2012, 2013|
|UNLV (1982)[a]||10||1983, 1984, 1985, 1986†, 1987, 1989, 1990, 1991, 1993, 1994|
|UC Irvine (1977)||6||1981, 1982, 1996, 2001, 2002, 2017|
|UC Santa Barbara (1969)[c]||6||1988, 1992, 2003, 2008†, 2010, 2014|
|Pacific (1971)[b]||5||1979, 1998, 2004, 2005, 2006|
|Cal State Fullerton (1974)||3||1976, 2008†, 2009†|
|Utah State (1978)[d]||3||1980, 1986†, 1995|
|San Diego State (1969)[e]||2||1976†, 1978|
|UC Davis (2007)||2||2015, 2018|
|Boise State (1996)[f]||1||1999|
|Cal Poly, San Luis Obispo (1996)||0||—|
|Cal State Northridge (2001)||0||—|
|UC Riverside (2001)||0||—|
- a UNLV left in 1996 to join the Western Athletic Conference (WAC), and is now in the Mountain West Conference (MW).
- b Pacific left for the West Coast Conference in 2013.
- c UC Santa Barbara joined the conference when it was founded in 1969, left to become an independent after the 1973–74 season, then rejoined in 1976.
- d Utah State left in 2005 to join the WAC, and is now in the MW.
- e San Diego State left in 1978 to join the WAC, and is now in the MW.
- f Boise State left in 2001 to join the WAC, and is now in the MW.
- g Nevada left in 2000 to join the WAC, and is now in the MW.
- "Big West Announces Men's Basketball All-Conference Team" (Press release). Big West Conference. March 7, 2016. Archived from the original on May 31, 2012. Retrieved March 7, 2016.
- "Big West Unveils Men's Basketball All-Conference Team" (Press release). Big West Conference. March 6, 2017. Retrieved March 6, 2017.
- "2018 Men's Basketball All-Conference Team" (Press release). Big West Conference. March 5, 2018. Retrieved March 5, 2018.