Bigelow Cholla Garden Wilderness
|Bigelow Cholla Garden Wilderness|
|Location||Mojave Desert, San Bernardino County, California|
|Area||14,645 acres (59.27 km2)|
|Governing body||Bureau of Land Management|
The wilderness lies in the northern end of the Sacramento Mountains, east of the Piute Mountains and 18 miles (29 km) west of Needles, California, along Interstate 40 as its northern border. The wilderness covers approximately 14,645 acres (5,927 ha). Elevations range from 1,400 to 3,314 feet (427 to 1,010 m) at the top of the Sacramento range's Bannock Peak.
Flora and fauna
In the wilderness area the vegetation types are predominantly of the creosote bush scrub plant community. The densest concentration of Bigelow cholla (Cylindropuntia bigelovii) in all California's deserts is found within the wilderness area and the surrounding terrain.
Wildlife is typical for the Mojave Desert; including coyote, black-tailed jackrabbit, ground squirrel, kangaroo rat, quail, roadrunner, rattlesnakes, and several species of lizards. The area provides habitat for migrating desert bighorn sheep. The western half of the wilderness area provides critical habitat for the threatened desert tortoise.
- "Bigelow Cholla Garden Wilderness". Geographic Names Information System. United States Geological Survey. Retrieved 2010-05-17.
- U.S. Dept. of Interior.gov: Map of Mojave Trails National Monument, with Wilderness Areas.
- "Bigelow Cholla Garden Wilderness". Bureau of Land Management. Archived from the original on 2010-09-13. Retrieved 2010-06-21.
- "Bigelow Cholla Garden Wilderness Area". Bureau of Land Management. Archived from the original on 2010-09-13. Retrieved 2010-06-21.
- "Bigelow Cholla Garden Wilderness map" (PDF). Bureau of Land Management. Archived from the original (PDF) on 2011-06-14. Retrieved 2010-06-21.
- "Cholla Garden Wilderness Area photographs". Bureau of Land Management.
- "U.S. National Wilderness Preservation System Map". Wilderness.net.
|This San Bernardino County, California–related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article related to a protected area in California is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|