This article's factual accuracy is disputed. (January 2016) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Bigg Boss is a television reality show broadcast on Colors channel in India. It follows the Big Brother format, which was first developed by Endemol in the Netherlands. Over eleven years, Bigg Boss has rolled out eleven seasons and one spin-off version. The current season, season 11, airs on Colors.
Bigg Boss is a reality show based on the original Dutch Big Brother format developed by John de Mol. A number of contestants (known as "housemates") live in a purpose-built house and are isolated from the rest of the world. Each week, housemates nominate two of their peers for eviction, and the housemates who receives the most nominations would face a public vote. Of these, one would eventually leave, having been "evicted" from the House. However, there were exceptions to this process as dictated by Bigg Boss. In the final week, there were three housemates remaining, and the public voted for who they wanted to win. The housemates in the Indian version are primarily celebrities with the exception of one who is a non-celebrity selected via auditions. Housemates are overseen by a mysterious person known as 'Bigg Boss', whose only presence in the house is through his voice.
A Bigg Boss House is built for every season. The house was earlier located in the tourist place of Lonavla, Pune district of Maharashtra, however the house for the fifth season was located ND Studios in Karjat. The house is well-furnished and decorated. It has all kinds of modern amenities, but just one or two bedrooms and four toilet bath rooms. There is a garden, pool, activity area and gym in the House. There is also a Confession Room, where the housemates may be called in by Bigg Boss for any kind of conversation, and for the nomination process.
The House has no TV connection, no telephones, no Internet connection, clocks, pen or paper.
While all the rules have never been told to the audience, the most prominent ones are clearly seen. The inmates are not permitted to talk in any other language than Hindi. They are not supposed to tamper with any of the electronic equipment or any other thing in the House. They cannot leave the House premises at any time except when permitted to. They cannot discuss the nomination process with anyone. They cannot sleep in day time.
Sometimes, the housemates may be nominated for other reasons, such as nomination by a person who has achieved special privileges (via tasks or other things), for breaking rules or something else. If something is very serious, a contestant may be evicted directly.
The main television coverage takes the form of a daily highlights programme and the weekly eviction show on Fridays that are aired on Colors TV, while the first season was aired on Sony TV. Everyday's episodes contain the main happenings of the previous day. Every Saturday episode mainly focuses on an interview of the evicted contestant by the host. The episode on Sunday, named differently across seasons, contains extra footage of the week, which was not included in any episode.
|Season||Main host||Launch date||Finale date||Days||Housemates||TRP||Prize money||Winner|
|1||Arshad Warsi||3 November 2006||26 January 2007||86||15||2.36||3.57||2.72||₹1 crore (US$150,000)||Rahul Roy|
|2||Shilpa Shetty||17 August 2008||22 November 2008||98||2.42||3.49||2.89||Ashutosh Kaushik|
|3||Amitabh Bachchan||4 October 2009||26 December 2009||84||1.96||3.48||2.83||Vindu Dara Singh|
|4||Salman Khan||3 October 2010||8 January 2011||96||16||5.10||6.90||4.95||Shweta Tiwari|
|2 October 2011||7 January 2012||98||18||5.02||5.37||4.19||Juhi Parmar|
|6||Salman Khan||7 October 2012||12 January 2013||97||19||5.01||5.41||3.81||₹50 lakh (US$77,000)||Urvashi Dholakia|
|7||15 September 2013||28 December 2013||105||20||5.75||6.30||4.40||Gauahar Khan|
|8||21 September 2014||3 January 2015||19||5.65||6.14||3.77||Declared on Halla Bol|
|Halla Bol||Farah Khan||3 January 2015||31 January 2015||28||10||3.74||3.42||3.28||Gautam Gulati|
|9||Salman Khan||11 October 2015||23 January 2016||105||20||4.08||3.97||2.90||Prince Narula|
|10||16 October 2016||28 January 2017||18||5.02||5.75||3.54||Manveer Gurjar|
|11||1 October 2017||14 January 2018||105||19||6.35||8.93||6.99||Shilpa Shinde|
- Highest viewing figures. Lowest viewing figures.
- ^ Although Sanjay Dutt was the main host of season 5, Salman Khan also hosted a few eviction episodes with him including the opening & finale episodes.
- ^ Bigg Boss 8 was merged with its spin-off series Bigg Boss Halla Bol! and hence, there was no particular winner of this season. Although on the finale day, the five finalists were declared as "The Champions", who continued their journey as contestants in the spin-off series, against some ex-contestants from previous seasons.
Celebrity guests to appear on the series include:
|Inhabitant||Nation of origin||Season||Days|
- There are above 90 cameras in the show.
- "Bigg Boss". Endemol. Archived from the original on 28 July 2010. Retrieved 20 December 2010.
- "What the Bigg Boss house is going to be like this season". Rediff.com Movies. 30 September 2011. Retrieved 2014-09-03.
- "Shweta gets b'day suprise [sic] on Bigg Boss". MiD DAY. 5 Oct 2010. Retrieved 2014-09-03.
- Rajul Hegde (8 October 2009). "What really goes on in Bigg Boss house?". Rediff. Retrieved 20 December 2010.
- Malvika Nanda (9 October 2010). "Lights or not, camera, action". Hindustan Times. Archived from the original on 30 November 2010. Retrieved 20 December 2010.
- "Bigg Boss casts out violent Khan". Daily News and Analysis. 22 October 2009. Retrieved 2 January 2011.
- "Sony, Endemol lock horns over Big Boss". Business-Standard. Retrieved 20 December 2010.
- Sharmistha Mukherjee (7 October 2010). "Bigg Boss 4: Salman Khan scores over Amitabh Bachchan". Retrieved 18 December 2015.
- BS Reporter (18 September 2012). "Colors bets big on Bigg Boss". Retrieved 18 December 2015.
- Ashish Sinha (6 October 2009). "Big B fails to boost Bigg Boss 3 inaugural ratings". Retrieved 18 December 2015.
- "Indian Television Dot Com – Bigg Boss 4 ends on a high note with 6.9 TVR". Indian Television Dot Com. 12 January 2011. Retrieved 18 December 2015.
- Swarup Chakraborty (13 October 2010). "KBC-4 opens far better than other reality shows". Retrieved 18 December 2015.
- "KBC 5 dominates Bigg Boss 5 in TRP ratings". Retrieved 18 December 2015.
- "Bigg Boss 5: Pooja Missra thrown out". The Times of India. Retrieved 18 December 2015.
- Gaurav Laghate (17 October 2012). "Bigg Boss gets the biggest jolt as TAM defers ratings data". Retrieved 18 December 2015.
- "Indian Television Dot Com – Bigg Boss 6 lifts Colors ahead of Star Plus". Indian Television Dot Com. 16 January 2013. Retrieved 18 December 2015.
- BS Reporter (21 January 2013). "Bigg Boss' sixth season fares better than previous run". Retrieved 18 December 2015.
- "GEC Watch: Mahabharat gets epic start; Bigg Boss pushes Colors up". Retrieved 18 December 2015.
- "TRP Ratings from 8th December 2013 to 14th December 2013 (Week 50) – Telly TRP". Retrieved 18 December 2015.
- "TRP Ratings from 24th December 2013 to 30th December 2013 (Week 52) – Telly TRP". Retrieved 18 December 2015.
- "Is Bigg Boss 8 Boring? TRPs Suggest Nobodys Watching – NDTV Movies". NDTVMovies.com. Retrieved 18 December 2015.
- "'Satyamev Jayate 3' has Better TRP Ratings than 'Bigg Boss 8': Aamir Khan Beats Salman". International Business Times, India Edition. 13 November 2014. Retrieved 18 December 2015.
- "Bigg Boss 8: From 'Halla Bol' to surprise eviction, lame attempts by makers to gain TRPs". India TV News. Retrieved 18 December 2015.
- "Here's your chance to enter into Bigg Boss house - Times of India". The Times of India. Retrieved 2017-07-10.
- "'I have always been political'".
- "It's official: Junior NTR to host Telugu version of Bigg Boss". 13 June 2017.
- "Bigg Boss 11: Underground jail, 90 cameras and more — a tour of the new house".
- "Meet the mysterious man behind Bigg Boss voice". India TV.