Bihar Legislative Assembly
|Bihar Legislative Assembly|
|1st bihar lagislative Assembly|
Leader of Amble and state Chief Minister
Deputy Chief Minister
Leader of Opposition
|12 October to 5 November 2015|
|Bihar Legislative Assembly election, 2020|
|The Bihar State Assembly|
The Bihar Legislative Assembly came into existence in 1937. The Assembly had a strength of 152 members. According to the provisions of the Constitution of India, the first General Elections in the state were held in 1952. The total strength of membership in the Assembly was 331, including one nominated member. Dr Sri Krishna Singh became the first Leader of the House and the Chief Minister and Dr Anugrah Narayan Singh was elected the first Deputy Leader of the Assembly and became state's first Deputy Chief Minister. It was reduced to 318 during the second General Elections. In 1977, the total number of elected members of the Bihar Legislative Assembly was further raised from 318 to 324. With the creation of a separate State of Jharkhand, by an Act of Parliament titled the Bihar Reorganisation Act, 2000, the strength of the Bihar Legislative Assembly was reduced from 324 to 243 members. The current ruling government formed after 2015 legislative election consist of RJD+JD(U) + congress.
The Bihar Legislative Assembly is not a permanent body and subject to dissolution. The tenure of the Legislative Assembly is five years from the date appointed for its first sitting unless dissolved sooner. Members of the Legislative Assembly are directly elected by the people.
There are three sessions (Budget, Monsoon, Winter) every year.
Current assembly elections were held in October–November 2015.
- List of members of Bihar Vidhan Sabha
- Administration in Bihar
- Member of the Legislative Council (India)
- List of states of India by type of legislature
- Patna Secretariat
- Bihar Legislative Assembly election, 2015
- "Cabinet expansion not needed: JD(U)". The Times of India. 13 September 2014. Retrieved 2014-11-10.
- "First Bihar assembly: Down memory lane - Times of India". The Times of India. Retrieved 2016-11-19.
- "Bihar poll dates announced: Some facts youn need to know about Bihar Legislative Assembly". www.oneindia.com. Retrieved 2016-11-19.
- Official website; Government of Bihar