ವಿಜಾಪುರ ವಿಮಾನ ನಿಲ್ದಾಣ
|IATA: none – ICAO: none|
|Owner||Infrastructure Development Department, Government of Karnataka|
Bijapur Airport is a planned greenfield airport that will serve the city of Bijapur in Karnataka, India. The airport will be built by the Airports Authority of India (AAI) on 727-acre (2.94 km2) of land at Madabhavi village near Bijapur.
In March 2007, the State government Cabinet approved construction of greenfield airports in Bijapur, Gulbarga and Shimoga to give a boost to the tourism industry. Nineteen companies had responded when the Government called for an Expression of Interest (EoI) in 2007 to develop the airports. In January 2010, the Karnataka government signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with infrastructure development company MARG Limited for developing a green field airport at Bijapur under a public-private partnership agreement. The airport was to initially cater to smaller aircraft like ATR-72. The airside development was to include a 2,500 square metre terminal building, a 1,700 m long runway, aprons, taxiways, hangars, isolated parking bay, a 15 m air traffic control tower, ground support equipment, fuel storage facilities and a fire station.
The project came to a halt in 2012, when MARG demanded an additional 1,000 acres of land to build commercial complexes near the airport to make the project economically viable. According to the government, this amounted to a breach of contract signed through the MoU. In 2013, the Government decided to abandon the PPP model and instead sought to partner with AAI to complete the project. AAI agreed to build Bijapur airport but sought Rs. 50 crore from the State government to start site levelling work.
- "AAI agrees to take up Bijapur airport project". The Hindu. 27 January 2014. Retrieved 9 June 2015.
- "Karnataka gets 19 EoIs for three airport projects". The Indian Express. 20 June 2007. Retrieved 9 June 2015.
- Minor Airports Infrastructure Development Department, Government of Karnataka
- "Pact for Rs 200 cr Bijapur airport". Business Standard. 19 January 2010. Retrieved 9 June 2015.
- "MARG to develop Bijapur airport". Construction World. Retrieved 9 June 2015.
- "Greenfield airport project in Bijapur hits a roadblock". The Hindu. 5 July 2012. Retrieved 9 June 2015.
- "Govt looks to AAI as pvt developers' feuds stall regional airport projects". The Financial Express. 29 September 2013. Retrieved 9 June 2015.
|This article related to a location in Bijapur district, Karnataka, India is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about an airport in India is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|