||This biographical article needs additional citations for verification. (February 2010)|
Bili Bidjocka at the Mantua Literature Festival
|Known for||Sculpture Plastic arts|
|Notable work||L'écriture infinie|
Bili Bidjocka (born 1962) is a contemporary Cameroonian artist best known for his installations and sculptures. He was born in Douala, Cameroon, lives in France since the age of 12, and works in Paris, Brussels and New York.
Bili Bidjocka has attended numerous collectives and he has shown in the Biennale of Johannesburg (1997), Havana (1997), Biennale Dakar (2000), Taipei (2004) and Venice Biennale (inside Check List - Luanda Pop, 2007 curated by Fernando Alvim and Simon Njami); he has exhibited his works in the New Museum of Contemporary Art of New York and in the exposition Africa Remix (Düsseldorf, London, Paris, Tokyo, Johannesburg, 2005–2007). He founded and directed the contemporary Art Center Matrix Art Project in Brussels.
L'écriture infinie is a work of Bili Bidjocka. It aims to write the biggest collection of handwritten books of the world, because the new technologies causes the progressive extinction and replaces the handwritten writing because .
It consist of a series of books with 6000 white pages, 104 cm long and 100 kg. The artist declares that the public is invited to write - as it was the last thing to do before the cut of a hand. The founder act is the writing act in itself and not the reading after. Each book, once done, is packed into a linen material. The idea is that these books will be opened in the day where writing will not exist anymore. There is now existing 7 books of the work; one participated at the Venice Biennale inside the exhibition Check List - Luanda Pop.
- Skin, (panel), Albissola Marina
- « …Do Not Take It, Do Not Eat It, This Is Not My Body… », stageBACK, Shanghai, People's Republic of China, 2012
- DetourIstanbul, 2009
- Detour, Paris and Berlin, 2008
- Check List, Venice Biennale, 2007
- Exhibition 02 - Collective exhibition, Exit11, Grand-Leez, 2007
- 3. Echigo-Tsumari Art Triennial 2006, Echigo-Tsumari Art Triennial, Niigata-ken, 2006
- Africa Remix - Contemporary Art of a Continent, Mori Art Museum, Tokyo, 2006
- EXHIBITION 00, Exit11, Grand-Leez, 2006
- Tapei Biennial 2004 - Do you believe in reality?, Taipei Biennial, Taipei, 2004
- El Corazón de las Tinieblas, Centro Atlántico de Arte Moderno (CAAM), Las Palmas de Gran Canaria, 2004
- Black President - The Art and Legacy of Fela Anikulapo-Kuti, New Museum of Contemporary Art, New York, 2003
- Transferts, Palais des Beaux Arts, Paris, 2003
- Memórias Íntimas Marcas, MuHKA Museum voor Hedendaagse Kunst Antwerpen, Antwerp, 2000
- Bili Bidjocka: Reflection, Objectif, Hal, Antwerp, 2000
- Paris pour escale, ARC musée d'Art Moderne de la Ville de Paris, Paris, 2000
- Dak'Art 2000, Biennale of Dakar, Dakar, 2000
- Free Coke, The Greene Naftali Gallery, New York, 1999
- Bili Bidjocka, Los Carpinteros and Rivane Neuenschwander, New Museum of Contemporary Art, New York, 1998
- Bili Bidjocka: Crossing, USF Contemporary Museum, Tampa, USA, 1998
- Alternating Currents, Second Biennale of Johannesburg, Johannesburg, 1997
- 6 Biennale dell'Avana, La Havana, 1997
- "Africa Remix: Bili Bidjocka". Universes in Universe web site. Archived from the original on 2 June 2008. Retrieved 2008-06-11.
- Barbara Vanderlinden, The work of Bili Bidjocka in Do you Believe in Reality, Taïpei Biennial, 2004.
- The marriage of earth & night by bili bidjockain el corazon de las tinieblas, catalogo, 2002.
- Philipe Pirotte, Bili Bidjocka, the jet lag experiment in objectif (projects), 2001.
- Joël Busca, L'arte contemporanea africana, L'Harmattan Italia, Torino, 2002, pp. 115–120 (ed. originale Perspectives sur l'art contemporain africain, L'Harmattan, Paris, 2000).
- Okwui Enwezor, Between Words... in Reading the Contemporary, 1999-2000.
- ON NAIT DANS L'ESPACE DE LA PEINTURE OU ON NE L'EST PAS, in Zeitwenden, Bonn, catalogo, 1999.
- Max Borka, De Kerst is Kort – Bili Bidjocka in "Standard Magazin", Dicembre 1999.
- Eduardo Costa, Report from Havana, The installation biennial, in "Art in America", Marzo 1998.
- Dan Cameron, Global Warming, "Art Forum International", dicembre 1997.
- LE PRINCIPE ET LA FAIM, Un Proyecto de Bili Bidjocka, in "Atlantica International", 18, 1997.
- Franklin Sirmans, Bili Bidjocka: Mélancholia, Sophistication, And Lightness, in "Flash Art", 32, 204, 1997.
- COLLAGE (JESUIS LA SEULE FEMME DE MAVIE...), By Bili Bidjocka, "Gagarine", 1, 2, 1997.
- Sean O'Toole , Bili Bidjocka Focus: Begonias, the lure of travel, endless writing and an unfinished book, "Freeze Magazine", 119, novembre-dicembre 2008.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Bili Bidjocka.|