Gold Coast, Queensland
View of Bilinga Beach, circa 1900
|Population||1,804 (2016 census)|
|LGA(s)||City of Gold Coast|
Bilinga is a southern suburb of City of Gold Coast, Queensland, Australia. It is on the border with New South Wales to the west and has the Pacific Ocean to the east. At the 2011 Census, Bilinga had a population of 1,662.
Bilinga was located on the Nerang Tweed Railway line. After the land sales, a rail siding was created in 1919. After 1919, the catalyst for an increase in development was said to be the erection of a general store, owned by businessman Percy Hanzel, near the rail siding. Furthermore, increased development could be attributed to a new coastal road, which improved access to the area for holiday makers and residents.
The drowning of a man on Bilinga Beach in 1937 led to the establishment of the Bilinga Surf Lifesaving Club in 1938.
In the 2011 census, Bilinga recorded a population of 1,662 people, 48.9% female and 51.1% male. The median age of the Bilinga population was 43 years, 6 years above the national median of 37. 71.5% of people living in Bilinga were born in Australia. The other top responses for country of birth were New Zealand 5.6%, England 3.2%, Scotland 0.7%, Germany 0.5%, United States of America 0.5%. 84.5% of people spoke only English at home; the next most common languages were 0.7% Japanese, 0.5% German, 0.4% Fijian, 0.2% Finnish, 0.2% Greek.
Bilinga Surf Life Saving Club
Established in 1938, Bilinga SLSC members patrol the beach on weekends and public holidays from September to May each year.
Bilinga - Gold Coast Airport
The Gold Coast Airport is located at 1 Eastern Avenue Bilinga. Despite being situated in Bilinga and across the border into Tweed Heads West, New South Wales, the airport is also known as Coolangatta Airport, presumably because Coolangatta is better known than Bilinga.
- Australian Bureau of Statistics (27 June 2017). "Bilinga (State Suburb)". 2016 Census QuickStats. Retrieved 6 February 2018.
- "Bilinga (entry 46029)". Queensland Place Names. Queensland Government. Retrieved 18 April 2014.
- Australian Bureau of Statistics (31 October 2012). "Bilinga (State Suburb)". 2011 Census QuickStats. Retrieved 2013-10-16.
- "Bilinga History". City of Gold Coast Council. Retrieved 19 April 2014.
- Mangin, J. F. "Volume 1". History of Bilinga. Bilinga Surf Lifesaving Club. Archived from the original on 4 March 2016. Retrieved 19 April 2014.
- Gresty, J.A., The Numinbah Valley: Its Geography, History and Aboriginal Associations
- Watson, F.E Vocabularies of Four Representative Tribes of South East Queensland
- Kerr, John. Destination South Brisbane, p. 45
- "Bilinga". Queensland Places. Centre for the Government of Queensland, University of Queensland.
- Bilinga History
- Very GC - Bilinga
- Bilinga SLSC