Bill Burns (artist)
Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada
|Education||Goldsmiths College, London|
|Awards||Danish International Visiting Artist Award, Copenhagen; Pollock-Krasner Foundation, New York|
Bill Burns (born 1956) is a Canadian artist.
Life and work
Burns is known for his artists' books, sculpture, drawing and multiples. He completed his post-graduate work in London at Goldsmiths College under Gerard Hemsworth and John Latham (Latham was a visiting artist). His most recognized work is Safety Gear for Small Animals which was first shown at 303 Gallery, New York  and later at the Museum of Modern Art, New York in 2005/2006  and at the Institute of Contemporary Arts in London in 2008. His 2002 project "Everything I Could Buy on eBay About Malaria" which was shown at the Wellcome Trust in London, England is considered a seminal work in the area of electronic collecting. Other major solo projects include his Bird Radio work at the KW in Berlin (2007), Love and Affection at Mendes Wood Gallery in Sao Paulo (2011), and The Great Chorus at the Royal Ontario Museum (2016).
Burns has published numerous books including Hans Ulrich Obrist Hear Us, London UK: Black Dog Publishing (2016). When Pain Strikes (Burns, Busby, Sawchuk), a critical anthology about pain and pain relief, Minneapolis: University of Minnesota Press (1999).  Other book titles include Analgesia  Montreal: Rochefort (1993); Urban Fauna Information Station. Toronto: Mercer Union (2002); Safety Gear for Small Animals Toronto: MOCCA, Toronto (2005); Bird Radio  Berlin: KW and Cologne: Verlag der Buchhandlung Walther Koenig (2007); The Flora and Fauna Information Service - 0.800.0.0FAUNA0FLORA. London: ICA (2008).; and Dogs and Boats and Airplanes Told in the Form of Ivan the Terrible . Copenhagen: Space Poetry (2011). Burns has published dozens of guides, posters, and editions that are included in major museum collections throughout the world.
Burns' most notable biennial and museum exhibitions include the ICA in London, the KW in Berlin, the MoMA in New York City as well as Forum Arte y Vida at the Havana Biennial in Havana, Cuba, 2003, the Bienal del Fin del Mundo in Ushuaia, Argentina, 2007 and the Quebec City Biennial - Manif d'art 5, 2010, Biennial of the Moving Image, Buenos Aires, 2013, Bienale de Asuncion, Paraguay 2015 and Bienale de Curitiba, Brazil 2017.
Burns is represented by MKG127 in Toronto.
- Ger Zielinski, On Observant Artists and Their Keepers, Topia, University of Toronto, October (2018)
- Caroline, Picard, Flickering Memoirs and Surveys an interview with Bill Burns, Art 21 Magazine, New York, February,( 2017)
- Yaniya Lee, Directions to the Land of Milk and Honey. Toronto: C Magazine, Winter (2015)
- Smith, Matthew Ryan, Bill Burns: Dogs and Boats and Airplanes told in the form of Ivan the Terrible. London: Senses and Society. January (2014)]
- Milroy, Sarah. Bill Burns Prays to the Gods of the Art World. Toronto: Globe and Mail. 1 September (2012) 
- Gabrys, Jennifer. Bill Burns Flora and Fauna Information Station at the ICA. London: Afterall (2009) 
- Antonelli, Paola. Safe: Design Takes on Risk. New York: Museum of Modern Art (2005) 
- Hurtig, Annette; Sloan, Johanne; Seaton, Beth, Bill Burns: Safety Gear for Small Animals (green version). Toronto: MOCCA (2005)
- ICA London. Bill Burns: 0.800.0FAUNA0FLORA, London: Institute of Contemporary Arts, (2008) 
- Burns, Bill. Bird Radio – Vogelradio. Berlin: KW - ICA; Cologne: Verlag Walther Koenig (2007) 
- Wellcome Trust. Bill Burns: Everything I Could Buy on eBay about Malaria, London: Wellcome Trust (2002) 
- /https://www.303gallery.com/gallery-exhibitions/bill-burns[full citation needed]
- http://www.moma.org/exhibitions/2005/safe/safe.html[full citation needed]
- McKenna, C (2002). "Art: Everything I Could Buy on eBayTM about Malaria". BMJ. 325 (7357): 225. doi:10.1136/bmj.325.7357.225.