|Associated acts||Home Service|
Bill Caddick (born Lewis Frederick William Caddick, 27 June 1944, Hurst Hill, Wolverhampton) is an English folk singer-songwriter and guitarist, particularly noted for his songwriting and as a member of the innovative and influential group Home Service.
Singing since the 1960s in folk clubs and festivals, in 1973 Caddick joined the street theatre group Magic Lantern, formed by Taffy Thomas and described by Mel McClellan on the BBC website as "legendary". He left Magic Lantern in 1975 to concentrate on his solo career, becoming well known as a festival artist in Britain and overseas. In 1977 he joined the Albion Band in the National Theatre productions of 'Lark Rise' and 'The Passion'. Caddick later collaborated with Tim Laycock and Peter Bond in a stage show and album about circus life, called "A Duck on his Head". About this time, he wrote songs for radio and TV, and performed his own songs in a film about the Tolpuddle Martyrs. From 1980 to 1985 Caddick was a member of the renowned folk-rock band Home Service. He continued to write and perform at clubs and festivals, albeit in a more low-key way than before as well as continuing his involvement with the National Theatre, writing and appearing in several plays which included "Don Quixote", and "The Mysteries" (an award winning trilogy performed in the West End, on TV and throughout Europe, as well as at the National).
Currently (as at December 2009) Bill Caddick runs a folk club in his home village of Jackfield and, as well as his solo career, is a member of three groups: local band the Jackfield Riverbillies, ceilidh band All Blacked Up and a new venture as part of the Anne Lennox Martin Band.
His songs, such as "Unicorns" and "She Moves Among Men", have been recorded by numerous other musicians including June Tabor, Chris Foster, Alex Campbell, Christy Moore, Peter Rowan, John Kirkpatrick, Artisan, Coope Boyes and Simpson and The Yetties.
- Rough Music (1976)
- Sunny Memories (1977)
- Reasons Briefly Set Down (1979)
- Wild West Show (1986)
- Urban Legend (1991)
- Winter With Flowers (1995)
- Unicorns (2002)
- (With The Albion Band) Lark Rise To Candleford (1979)
- (With Bond, Caddick & Laycock) A Duck On His Head (1980)
- (With Home Service) Doing The Inglish (1981)
- (With Home Service) Home Service (1984)
- (With Home Service) The Mysteries (1984)
- (With Home Service) The Mysteries EP (1985)
- (With Home Service) Early Transmissions (1996)
- (With Home Service) Wild Life (1999)
- (With The Jackfield Riverbillies) Cherokee (1999)
As session musician
- John Kirkpatrick - Going Spare (1978)
- Richard and Linda Thompson - First Light (1978)
- Peter Bond - See Me Up, See Me Down (1979)
- Tim Laycock - Capers & Rhymes
- Various Artists - All Through The Year
- Ashley Hutchings - The Guv'nor Vol 2 (1997)
- Jan Davies - Magpies
- Les Barker - Tubular Dogs
- Various Artists - Festival
- Anne Lennox-Martin - Born To The Breed (2004)