Bill Cooper (fighter)
May 5, 1987 |
Santa Barbara, California, U.S.
|Other names||The Grill|
|Height||5 ft 11 in (1.80 m)|
|Weight||155 lb (70 kg; 11.1 st)|
|Style||Brazilian Jiu Jitsu|
|Fighting out of||Santa Barbara, California|
|Team||Paragon BJJ Team|
|Mixed martial arts record|
|Mixed martial arts record from Sherdog|
Cooper's achievements include a Pan American gold medal at the brown belt level also a silver medal at the World Jiu-Jitsu Championships in the absolute category. Then, in 2008, Cooper placed second in the middleweight division at the black belt level. Also, he has won numerous Grapplers Quest championships.
Mixed martial arts
Cooper made his amateur MMA debut in April 2008 and he amassed an undefeated amateur record of 3-0 before turning pro. All of his wins came via submission in the first round.
Cooper made his professional MMA debut February 2011 in the Gladiator Challenge, winning via submission just 0:23 into the first round. In July 2011, Cooper signed a 4-fight deal with the MMA organization Strikeforce. He made his debut on the preliminary card of Strikeforce Challengers: Voelker vs. Bowling III, defeating Maka Watson via rear-naked choke submission in the second round.
Despite a 1-1 record, Cooper was not on the list of fighters scheduled to be brought over to the Ultimate Fighting Championship when Strikeforce merged with the promotion in 2013. Cooper was scheduled to face Scott Catlin at the BAMMA event BadBeat 6 on July 13, 2012. However, days before the event, the bout was scrapped for unknown reasons.
Championships and accomplishments
- Gladiator Challenge
- Gladiator Challenge Lightweight Championship (One time)
Mixed martial arts record
|Professional record breakdown|
|3 matches||2 wins||1 loss|
|Loss||2–1||Matt Ricehouse||Decision (unanimous)||Strikeforce Challengers: Britt vs. Sayers||November 18, 2011||3||5:00||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States|
|Win||2–0||Maka Watson||Submission (rear-naked choke)||Strikeforce Challengers: Voelker vs. Bowling III||July 22, 2011||2||2:39||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States|
|Win||1–0||Sam Rodriguez||Submission (guillotine choke)||Gladiator Challenge - Legends Collide 2||February 20, 2011||1||0:23||San Jacinto, California, United States||Won the Gladiator Challenge Lightweight Championship; Vacated to sign with Strikeforce|
Amateur mixed martial arts record
|Amateur record breakdown|
|3 matches||3 wins||0 losses|
|Win||3–0||Kenny Marzola||Submission||Tuff-N-Uff: Spring Slam Down||March 27, 2009||1||1:58||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States|
|Win||2–0||Tom Phelps||Submission (rear-naked choke)||Tuff-N-Uff 2/15/09||February 15, 2009||1||1:48||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States|
|Win||1–0||Ricardo Patino||Submission (rear-naked choke)||Tuff-N-Uff: Future Stars of MMA||April 12, 2008||1||1:00||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States|
- "Bill "The Grill" Cooper (Paragon)". BJJ Heroes. December 25, 2010. Retrieved July 12, 2011.
- "DJ Jackson Submits Bill Cooper - Grapplers Quest". Grapplers Planet. June 18, 2011. Retrieved July 12, 2011.
- "Bill Cooper "The Grill"". MixedMartialArts.com. Retrieved July 12, 2011.
- Tucker, Bryan (May 12, 2012). "World Jiu-Jitsu Expo Results: Diaz vs. Estima". SB Nation. Retrieved February 21, 2013.
- "Bill "The Grill" Cooper". mixedmartialarts.com. Retrieved July 25, 2011.
- Brian Cimins (July 15, 2011). "Bill Cooper, 24-Time Grapplers Quest Champion signs to Strikeforce for 4-Fights - Debut is July 22nd in Las Vegas". Grapplers Quest. Retrieved July 20, 2011.
- "Bill Cooper". Strikeforce. Retrieved July 20, 2011.
- "Strikeforce Challengers 20 adds Cooper vs. Ricehouse, Britt vs. Sayers". mmajunkie.com. 2011-09-22.
- "BAMMA Badbeat 6 Results". tapology.com. 2012-07-13.
- "Gladiator Challenge: Legends Collide 2 Official Results". mixedmartialarts.com. 2011-02-20.