Bill Cunningham New York
|Bill Cunningham New York|
|Directed by||Richard Press|
|Produced by||Philip Gefter|
|Edited by||Ryan Denmark|
First Thought Films
|Distributed by||Zeitgeist Films|
Bill Cunningham New York is a 2010 documentary film directed by Richard Press and produced by Philip Gefter. Bill Cunningham New York is distributed by Zeitgeist Films and was released in theaters on March 16, 2011.
"We all get dressed for Bill", says Vogue editor Anna Wintour. The Bill in question is New York Times photographer Bill Cunningham. For decades, this Schwinn-riding cultural anthropologist has been obsessively and inventively chronicling fashion trends and high-society charity soirées for the Times's Style section in his columns "On the Street" and "Evening Hours".
Full of uptown fixtures (such as Wintour, Tom Wolfe, Brooke Astor, David Rockefeller—who all appear in the film), downtown eccentrics and everyone in between, Cunningham's enormous body of work documents its time and place as well as individual flair. Bill Cunningham New York portrays the man at work (on the street and at the office) and at home (a Carnegie Hall studio).
- Bill Cunningham
- Editta Sherman
- Carmen Dell'Orefice
- Annette de la Renta
- Anna Wintour
- Iris Apfel
- Shail Upadhya
- Kim Hastreiter
- Thelma Golden
- Tom Wolfe
- Brooke Astor
- Mike Wallace
- Michael Bloomberg
- Catherine Deneuve
- Anna Piaggi
- Michael Kors
- Arthur Ochs Sulzberger, Jr.
- 2010: Opening Night Film New Directors/New Films Festival
- 2010: Won Audience Award for Best Documentary Film at Sydney Film Festival
- 2010: Won Best Documentary at Nantucket Film Festival
- 2010: Won Best Documentary Audience Award at Melbourne International Film Festival
- 2010: Won Best Documentary at Abu Dhabi International Film Festival
Bill Cunningham New York played at New York City's Film Forum from March 16 to 29, 2011, before opening in theaters in a limited release around the United States.
The film was critically well-received, garnering a 99% approval rating on movie review aggregator Rotten Tomatoes. The Hollywood Reporter described Bill Cunningham New York as a "Fascinating doc about a photographer surveying the highs and lows of New York society." New York Magazine chose Bill Cunningham New York as one of their Critics' Picks. Roger Ebert gave the film four out of four stars, writing "This movie made me happy every moment I was watching it."
- "Bill Cunningham New York Movie Reviews, Pictures". Rotten Tomatoes. Archived from the original on May 3, 2011. Retrieved May 19, 2011.
- "Bill Cunningham New York: Film Review". Retrieved 2016-06-25.
- Chocano, Carina (2011-03-15). "'Bill Cunningham New York,' Fashion Photographer - Review". The New York Times. ISSN 0362-4331. Retrieved 2016-06-25.
- "Bill Cunningham New York". rogerebert.com.