Bill Drake (rugby league)
|Full name||William D. Drake|
|Born||20 February 1931
|Died||8 October 2012
|Height||6 ft 2 in (1.88 m)|
|Position||Wing, Prop, Second-row|
|Source: rugbyleagueproject.org englandrl.co.uk|
William "Bill" D. Drake (20 February 1931 – 8 October 2012) was an English professional rugby league footballer of the 1950s and 1960s who represented Great Britain, England, and Cumberland, and at club level played for Heworth ARLFC, Hull, Leeds, and York as a back, and later a forward, during the era of contested scrums.
Drake, who had already gained representative selection for Cumberland, played in Hull's 10-9 victory over Halifax in the Championship final during the 1955–56 season at Maine Road, Manchester on Saturday 12 May 1956. He played at second-row forward in Hull's 13-30 defeat by Wigan in the 1959 Challenge Cup final during the 1958–59 season at Wembley Stadium, London on Saturday 9 May 1959. Drake missed the 1960 Challenge Cup final during the 1959–60 season though injury, being replaced by Mike Smith who became the first player to ever make a first team début in a Challenge Cup final,
Drake left Hull for Leeds in 1963 for a £1,500 transfer fee (based on increases in average earnings, this would be approximately £56,890 in 2013).
Drake played Left-Prop, i.e. number 8, in Leeds' 2-18 defeat by Wakefield Trinity in the 1964 Yorkshire Cup final during the 1964–65 season at Fartown Ground, Huddersfield on Saturday 31 October 1964.
- "1958-1959 Challenge Cup Final". wigan.rlfans.com. 31 December 2011. Retrieved 1 January 2012.
- "Fox rules the roost as Wakefield ease past Hull". yorkshirepost.co.uk. 31 December 2011. Retrieved 1 January 2012.
- "England Statistics at englandrl.co.uk". englandrl. 31 December 2011. Retrieved 1 January 2012.
- "Great Britain Statistics at englandrl.co.uk". englandrl. 31 December 2011. Retrieved 1 January 2012.
- "Measuring Worth - Relative Value of UK Pounds". Measuring Worth. 31 December 2014. Retrieved 1 January 2015.
- "Bill Drake: Hull rugby league stalwart". independent.co.uk. 8 October 2012. Retrieved 26 October 2012.
- England Statistics at englandrl.co.uk
- Great Britain Statistics at englandrl.co.uk
- Statistics at rugbyleagueproject.org
- Stats → Past Players → D at hullfc.com
- Statistics at hullfc.com
- Tributes to Hull FC great Bill Drake
- Homage paid to rugby league ‘superstar’ Bill Drake
- Bill Drake – A Supporter's Appreciation