Bill Ferguson (politician)
William C. Ferguson IV
|Member of the Maryland Senate|
from the 46th district
|Assumed office |
January 12, 2011
|Preceded by||George W. Della, Jr.|
|Born||April 15, 1983|
Silver Spring, Maryland
On September 14, 2010, Ferguson defeated six-term incumbent George W. Della, Jr. in the Democratic primary. He won the general election with no opposition. At the age of 36, he is currently the youngest state senator in Maryland.
Ferguson was born in Silver Spring, Maryland, and graduated from Davidson College with a double major in political science and economics in 2005. He then joined Teach For America, teaching history and government to ninth and tenth graders at a high school in Baltimore for two years. In 2007, he earned a Master of Arts degree from the Johns Hopkins University School of Education.
Ferguson served as a community liaison on educational issues for the president of the Baltimore City Council from 2005 to 2006. From 2009 to 2010, he was a special assistant to Andres Alonso, the chief executive officer of Baltimore City Public Schools. He graduated magna cum laude from the University of Maryland School of Law with a Juris Doctor in 2010.
In 2010, Ferguson challenged six-term incumbent George W. Della, Jr. for the Democratic nomination for the 46th district in the Maryland Senate. He won the primary election by a margin of 59-41%. Running in a heavily Democratic district, he won the general election with no formal opposition, receiving 98% of the vote. He is the youngest state senator ever elected in Maryland.
- "Official Primary Results". Maryland State Board of Elections.
- Linskey, Annie (2010-09-15). "Ferguson topples Baltimore Senator Della". The Baltimore Sun.
- "2010 General Election Official Results". Maryland State Board of Elections.
- Brody, Alan (2010-12-03). "Meet the Freshmen". The Gazette.
- "William C. Ferguson IV, Maryland State Senator". Maryland Senate.
- "Speaker Bio". Teach for America.[permanent dead link]
- Wilson, Kelly. "Were You Phenomenal Today?". Davidson College.