Bill Gates's house
|Architectural style||Pacific lodge|
|Location||1835 73rd Ave NE, Medina, Washington, United States|
$63.2 millionto build
Xanadu 2.0 is a large mansion owned by Bill Gates that overlooks Lake Washington in Medina, Washington. The 66,000-square-foot (6,100 m2) mansion is noted for its design and the technology it incorporates. It is nicknamed Xanadu 2.0 after the title character's estate in Citizen Kane. It took seven years to build and cost $63.2 million.
Design and features
The house was the result of a collaboration between Bohlin Cywinski Jackson Architects (based in Pennsylvania but with satellite offices in Seattle and San Francisco) and Cutler-Anderson Architects of Bainbridge Island, Washington.[not in citation given]
The mansion is a modern design in the Pacific lodge style, with classic features such as a private library with a dome shaped roof and oculus. The house also features an estate-wide server system, a 60-foot (18 m) swimming pool with an underwater music system, a 2,500-square-foot (230 m2) gym, a 1,000-square-foot (93 m2) dining room, and heated floors and driveways. It is also an earth-sheltered house.
- Folkers, Richard (1997-11-23). "Bill Gates' stately pleasure dome and futuristic home".
- Anderson, Rick (2008-05-16). "Taxman Cometh". Seattle Weekly.
- Inc., Zillow,. "1835 73rd Ave NE, Medina, WA 98039 is Off Market | Zillow". Zillow. Retrieved 2015-07-16.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on September 28, 2007. Retrieved February 21, 2008.
- Cutler Anderson Architects
- "Technology: Bill Gates' House". U.S. News & World Report. Retrieved July 24, 2012.
- "Pool Building". U.S. News & World Report. Retrieved July 24, 2012.
- "coverage of the Gates' Medina, Washington estate". Forbes. May 22, 2002. Archived from the original on September 6, 2012. Retrieved June 9, 2010.
- Paterson, Thane (June 13, 2000). "Advice for Bill Gates: A Little Culture Wouldn't Hurt". Business Week. Archived from the original on August 11, 2007. Retrieved March 21, 2008.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Bill Gates' house.|