Granger at Hereford Road Party.
|Born||29 August 1969|
In the late 1980s, Granger relocated from Melbourne to Sydney to study art. He found inspiration in the city's lifestyle, light and harbour views. He worked as a waiter while he studied art. His creative interest slowly moved from art to food. In 1993, he opened a restaurant called "Bills" in the Sydney suburb of Darlinghurst. Breakfast, and, more specifically, creamy scrambled eggs, brought Granger to the public's attention. A second restaurant, "Bills Surry Hills", opened in 1996. "Bills Woollahra" was his third restaurant. The restaurants are also known for ricotta hotcakes.
In 2008, he opened the first "Bills" restaurant outside Australia in Japan, where he had lived for half a year. Since then, he has four restaurants in Japan, Tokyo, Yokohama, and Kamakura. In 2011, Granger opened his first UK restaurant Granger & Co in London's Westbourne Grove. In the spring of 2014, Granger opened a second London-based Granger & Co in Clerkenwell  and a new Bills restaurant in Hawaii.
Bill Granger is known for his eclectic and simple cuisine which he displays in all of his shows, books, and restaurants. He has often been referred to as the Australian version of Jamie Oliver
Granger wrote Bill's Sydney Food (Murdoch Books, 2000) which included information about the food in his restaurants. That book was followed by Bill's Food (2002), Bill's Open Kitchen (2003) and Simply Bill (2005) and Bill Granger Every Day (2006) and Bill's Basic's (2010) and Bill's Everyday Asian (2011), and Bill Granger Easy(2012)
In 2004, the six part series, Bill's Food, followed Granger for a week. It was well received in Australia and was subsequently screened on BBC2 in the United Kingdom, in 2005, drawing an audience of 2 million. The series was repeated on BBC1 and was shown in 22 other countries. In June 2006, Granger appeared on GMTV to present a week-long barbecue special filmed in the South of France. A second series of Bill's Food was aired on various networks. Granger is featured on a fortnightly segment on ABC Radio 702 with Richard Glover. Each week he discussed a recipe. He appeared cooking tasty 'Roast Dinner with Pancetta' on Wednesday, 16 February 2011.
A ten part television series bringing Bill's globally-inspired food to West London- Bill’s Kitchen: Notting Hill- aired from June 2013 on BBC Lifestyle in Poland, South Africa, Asia, the Middle East, and the Nordic Region; on BBC HD in EMEA and LatAm; and on BBC Entertainment in Latin America.
- "Sydney Food", Murdoch Books, (ISBN 0864119917, 2000)
- "Bills Food", Murdoch Books, (ISBN 978-1740450850, 2002)
- "Open Kitchen", Murdoch Books, (ISBN 978-1740452267, 2003)
- "Simply Bill", Murdoch Books, (ISBN 1-74045-363-8, 2005)
- "Everyday", Murdoch Books, (ISBN 1921259744, 2006)
- "Holiday", Murdoch Books, (ISBN 978-1741965025, 2009)
- "Feed Me Now", Quadrille,(ISBN 978-1-84400-706-6, 2009)
- "Bill's Basics",Quadrille,(ISBN 978-1-84400-843-8, 2010)
- "Bill's Everyday Asian",Quadrille,(ISBN 978-1-84400-978-7, 2011)
- "Bill Granger Easy",Collins,(ISBN 978-0007478224, 2012)
- BBC Food Profile - Chef Profile
- Good Food Profile - Chef Profile
- Surry Hills November/ December 2011 Afar page 77
- Granger & Co
- "Granger and Co. Clerkenwell". Just Opened London. Retrieved 7 July 2016.
- Gourmet Traveller
- Cheng, Martha (28 March 2014). "Opening Soon: Bills Sydney in Waikiki". Honolulu Magazine. Retrieved 7 July 2016.
- The Independent
- BBC Entertainment
- Bill's beach wedding - The Daily Telegraph, 14 Oct 2006