(Photo: Simon Heseltine)
|Full name||Abdul Bilal Hamid|
|Date of birth||November 25, 1990|
|Place of birth||Annandale, Virginia, United States|
|Height||1.91 m (6 ft 3 in)|
|2003–2007||Bethesda Soccer Club|
|2008||United States U20||2||(0)|
|2012||United States U23||4||(0)|
* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of June 5, 2015.
Bill Hamid made history on September 2, 2009, when he became the first D.C. United Academy player to sign with the first team. Prior to signing with D.C. United, he was linked with a move to Celtic, until work permit issues derailed the move.
He made his professional debut on May 5, 2010 in a game against the Kansas City Wizards. With this win, Hamid became the youngest goalkeeper in MLS history, at 19 years 161 days, to win a regular season game, besting Tim Howard's record by four days. Hamid started 28 of United's 34 games during the 2011 season. He retained his starting spot during the 2012 season, making appearances in 27 matches.
In 2012, Hamid earned a record 88 saves in arguably his best season in the MLS to date. Despite Hamid being sent off with a red card during the 2012 playoffs in a match against the New York Red Bulls, D.C. United was able to come away with a win and advance to the next round. Hamid, emotional after seeing the win, was video taped shirtless screaming "You can't hold us back" while pounding his chest. The phrase became a rallying cry for D.C. United fans who organized a display featuring the quote. Although D.C. United failed to defeat their next challenger, the Houston Dynamo, the phrase stuck with the fans. For the 2013 season, the D.C. United fan group Screaming Eagles designed a scarf with the quote and presented Hamid with a free one.
Hamid has 2 USA Men's National team international matches under his belt. His International debut came in January 2012 when USA beat Venezuela 1-0 in Arizona, marking his first full team debut with a shutout. Hamid's 2nd international match came against Republic of Ireland in Dublin, a loss in November 2014. Since 2011 he has been a regular international call up for Juergen Klinnsman & the United States team, often backing up Everton keeper, Tim Howard & Aston Villa keeper Brad Guzan, but was not one of the final choices for the 2014 World Cup in Brazil. Hamid spent time in training with the U-18 and U-20 United States national teams. On August 4, 2011, Hamid was called into camp for the senior United States men's national soccer team ahead of the match against Mexico. He was then named to the 22-man roster that tied Mexico 1-1 on August 10, 2011. Hamid made his senior international debut on January 21, 2012 against Venezuela.
- "2013 Gold Cup preliminary rosters" (pdf). CONCACAF. May 31, 2013. Retrieved May 31, 2013.
- "Bill Hamid". Major League Soccer. Retrieved October 19, 2010.
- Haber, Brett. "Bill Hamid: A Homegrown Soccer Star With a Touch of Wanderlust: The Annandale native and DC United starter is setting his sights on the Olympics and European stardom.", Washingtonian (magazine), March 14, 2012. "Howard has been a source of inspiration for Hamid. “He was a young African-American goalkeeper who made it to the big time—who made it to the biggest team in the world. And I was like, ‘If he can make it, why not me?’” Hamid says."
- Steven Goff (July 31, 2012). "D.C. United’s Bill Hamid finds balance between body and spirit during Ramadan". The Washington Post.
- "D.C. United Academy goalkeeper Bill Hamid signs with first team". Dcunited.com. September 2, 2009. Retrieved August 11, 2012.
- Tenorio, Paul (May 26, 2009). "Local Goalies' Careers Are Poised to Go Global". Washingtonpost.com. Retrieved August 11, 2012.
- "Hamid on ABC 7 5:00 p.m. news". Dcunited.com. May 6, 2010. Retrieved August 11, 2012.
- Steven Goff (October 27, 2011). "D.C. United goalkeeper Bill Hamid to work out with English club West Brom". Soccer Insider (The Washington Post). Retrieved October 28, 2011.
- Travis Clark (October 28, 2011). "DC goalkeeper Hamid heads to West Brom to train". Major League Soccer. Retrieved October 28, 2011.
- "Bill Hamid MLS Player Profile". Major League Soccer. Retrieved July 9, 2014.
- Steinberg, Dan (November 9, 2012). "Bill Hamid, screaming and pounding his chest". Washingtonpost.com. Retrieved July 9, 2012.
- Steinberg, Dan (March 8, 2013). "Bill Hamid and the ‘You Can’t Hold Us Back’ scarf". Washingtonpost.com. Retrieved July 9, 2012.
- "Bill Hamid Gets A Taste of the U.S. MNT". Ussoccer.com. Retrieved August 11, 2012.
- Goff, Steven (August 4, 2011). "D.C. United’s Bill Hamid reflects on his first call-up to the U.S. national soccer team". Washington Post. Retrieved August 4, 2011.
- Bill Hamid profile at Soccerway