Bill Harris (1950s pitcher)
|Born: December 3, 1931
Duguayville, New Brunswick
|Died: May 28, 2011
|September 27, 1957, for the Brooklyn Dodgers|
|Last MLB appearance|
|September 26, 1959, for the Los Angeles Dodgers|
|Earned run average||3.12|
|Innings pitched||8 2⁄3|
William Thomas Harris (December 3, 1931 – May 28, 2011) was a Canadian pitcher in Major League Baseball who played for the Brooklyn and the Los Angeles Dodgers teams. Listed at 5 feet 8 inches (1.73 m), 187 pounds (85 kg), Harris batted left-handed and threw right-handed. Born in Duguayville, New Brunswick, he attended Dorchester School.
Harris appeared in only two Major League Baseball games with the National League Dodgers – a losing start to the Philadelphia Phillies in 1957 and a relief appearance against the Chicago Cubs in 1959.
About his Major League Baseball debut, Harris said, "It was at Shibe Park against the Phillies and I did O.K. but lost 3–2. I was pinch-hit for in the seventh inning and Sandy Koufax came on in relief. Roy Campanella was the catcher and it turned out to be his last game".
Harris marveled at the talent that was around him in Montreal. "I think we had a team in Montreal that would beat most of the major league teams. Sparky Anderson was my second baseman. We also had Rocky Nelson (1B), John Roseboro (C), George Shuba (OF), Dick Williams (OF) and Chico Fernández (SS). Those were some great names", he explained.
Besides this, Harris went 14–10 with a 3.09 ERA for the Royals in 1958, helping them to clinch the International League pennant.
In 2008, Harris gained induction into the Canadian Baseball Hall of Fame and Museum in St. Marys, Ontario.
Harris died at his home in Kennewick, at the age of 79, after suffering bleeding ulcers.
- "Bill Harris Statistics and History". baseball-reference.com. sports-reference.com. Retrieved June 19, 2016.
- Baseball Players of the 1950s: A Biographical Dictionary of All 1,560 Major Leaguers – Rick Marazzi and Len Fiorito. Publisher: McFarland & Company, 2004. Format: Hardcover, 450 pp. Language: English. ISBN 0-7864-1281-X
- "Philadelphia Phillies 3, Brooklyn Dodgers 2". retrosheet.org. September 27, 1957. Retrieved June 19, 2016.
- "Chicago Cubs 12, Los Angeles Dodgers 2". retrosheet.org. September 26, 1959. Retrieved June 19, 2016.
- Baseball Players of the 1950s
- "Bill Harris Register Statistics & History". baseball-reference.com. sports-reference.com. Retrieved June 19, 2016.
- "Billy Harris — Canadian Baseball Hall of Fame and Museum". baseballhalloffame.ca. Retrieved June 19, 2016.
- "Times & Transcript – Obituary". Archived from the original on March 21, 2012. Retrieved June 19, 2016.