Bill Henderson (Canadian singer)
|Birth name||William Allen Henderson|
|Born||November 6, 1944|
Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
Early life and education
After The Collectors disbanded, Henderson and other former Collectors formed the band Chilliwack. The group played together for more than 30 years, and produced the hits "Lonesome Mary", "California Girl", and "My Girl (Gone, Gone, Gone)". He is also part of the folk music supergroup UHF.
As well as performing, Henderson has produced many recordings; he won the 1983 Juno Award for "Producer of the Year", with Brian MacLeod. He also won a Genie Award for best original song in a movie ("When I Sing", from Bye Bye Blues), and was musical director for the Canadian edition of Sesame Street from 1989 to 1995. Henderson was a founding inductee to the BC Entertainment Hall of Fame in 1994.
Henderson has served as director of the Canadian Association of Recording Arts and Sciences (CARAS) and as president of the Songwriters Association of Canada. In 2014 he was awarded the Special Achievement Award by SOCAN at the 2014 SOCAN Awards in Toronto.
Henderson's daughter Camille Henderson is a singer; she was a member in the early 1990s of the pop trio West End Girls, and has appeared as a guest vocalist on albums by Sarah McLachlan and Delerium. Another daughter, Saffron Henderson is a singer and voice actress.
- 1970 – Chilliwack
- 1971 – Chilliwack
- 1972 – All Over You
- 1974 – Riding High
- 1975 – Rockerbox
- 1977 – Dreams, Dreams, Dreams
- 1978 – Lights from the Valley
- 1980 – Breakdown in Paradise
- 1981 – Wanna Be a Star
- 1982 – Opus X
- 1983 – Segue (compilation)
- 1984 – Look In Look Out
- 1994 – Greatest Hits (compilation)
- 2003 – There and Back - Live
- James H. Marsh (1999). Chilliwack. The Canadian Encyclopedia. pp. 458–. ISBN 978-0-7710-2099-5. = "Chilliwack". The Canadian Encyclopedia. Retrieved October 8, 2019.
- "Henderson, Chilliwack still going strong after 40 years". Estevan Mercury, October 5, 2011
- Ed Gould (1988). Entertaining Canadians: Canada's international stars, 1900-1988. Cappis Press. pp. 48–49. ISBN 978-0-919763-18-0.
- Norm N. Nite (1 September 1985). Rock on: the illustrated encyclopedia of rock n' roll : the video revolution, 1978-present. Harper & Row. p. 68. ISBN 978-0-06-181644-4.
- "Living his passion for music". Penticton Western News. By STEVE KIDD April 5, 2011
- "Generations of rock with Chilliwack". Dale Boyd - Penticton Western News, July 21, 2016
- 2014 SOCAN Awards Archived 2017-06-28 at the Wayback Machine. SOCAN website.
- "Four Nova Scotians among Order of Canada honourees". The Chronicle-Herald, July 1, 2015.
- "24 Minutes with Bill Henderson" Archived 2017-09-10 at the Wayback Machine. Peterborough Examiner, By Joe Leary. January 19, 2017.
- "Chilliwack rocks during Nanaimo Bathtub Weekend Launch Party". Melissa Fryer - Nanaimo News Bulletin, Jul 14, 2016