Bill Johnston (golfer)
Johnston, circa 1948
|Born||January 2, 1925|
|College||University of Utah|
|Former tour(s)||PGA Tour|
|Number of wins by tour|
|Best results in major championships|
|Masters Tournament||T28: 1957|
|PGA Championship||T3: 1956|
|U.S. Open||T32: 1963|
|The Open Championship||T26: 1960|
Johnston was born in Donora, Pennsylvania, but moved to Ogden, Utah when he was four years old. He played college golf at the University of Utah and turned professional in 1950. The biggest win of his playing career was at the 1958 Texas Open Invitational.
Johnston played on the Senior PGA Tour (now PGA Tour Champions) from 1980 to 1990 (full-time) and then a few tournaments a year through the 1990s.
Professional wins (15)
PGA Tour wins (2)
|No.||Date||Tournament||Winning score||Margin of
|1||Feb 16, 1958||Texas Open Invitational||−10 (69-71-66-68=274)||3 strokes||Bob Rosburg|
|2||Sep 12, 1960||Utah Open Invitational||−22 (66-67-66-63=262)||2 strokes||Art Wall Jr.|
Other wins (13)
this list may be incomplete
- 1954 Utah Open
- 1958 Sahara Pro-Am
- 1961 Arizona Open
- 1967 Arizona Open
- 1972 Arizona Open, Colorado PGA Championship
- 1973 Colorado Open
- Montana Open - 2 times
- Nevada Open - 4 times
- The Hideout Golf Club, Lake Brownwood, Texas
- The Dominion Country Club, San Antonio, Texas
- The Links at Arizona Biltmore Country Club, Phoenix, Arizona
- Point Hilton Golf Club on Lookout Mountain, Phoenix, Arizona
- Rancho Mañana Golf Club, Cave Creek, Arizona
- Tapatio Springs Resort, Boerne, Texas
- Legacy Ridge Country Club, Bonham, Texas
- "Billy Johnston profile". Utah Golf Association. Archived from the original on July 10, 2010. Retrieved October 13, 2012.
- "Bill Johnston courses built". worldgolf.com. Retrieved 2007-12-03.
- Bill Johnston: A fading story worth revisiting
- "This Wasn't The 1st Time For Johnston And Collins". The Deseret News. Salt Lake City, Utah. August 6, 1989. p. D1.
|This biographical article relating to American golf is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|