|34th Mayor of Tulsa, Oklahoma|
1 April 2002 – 10 April 2006
William "Bill" LaFortune (born August 23, 1957), a native Tulsan is currently a district judge in Tulsa County. He was elected to a four-year term in 2014. He replaced former Judge Tom Gellert, who did not run for re-election, but retired from politics.
LaFortune's grandfather, Joseph LaFortune, was an oil executive and a noted philanthropist in Tulsa. His uncle, Robert J. LaFortune, was mayor of Tulsa from 1970 to 1978. He attended Cascia Hall Preparatory School, the University of California, Santa Barbara, and the University of Tulsa College of Law.
History in Tulsa Politics
Bill LaFortune served as district attorney of Tulsa County, as a special judge for Tulsa County, and as Assistant Attorney General for the state of Oklahoma. Running as a Republican, he was elected mayor in 2002, but he was unsuccessful in his bid for re-election on April 5, 2006 when he lost to his Democratic opponent, former Oklahoma Secretary of Commerce and Tourism Kathy Taylor.
In May 2016, the district attorney’s office asked the Judge LaFortune to hold Vernon Majors without bond or set bond to $300,000 for charges of assault and battery with a deadly weapon case in which Majors is accused of running over Haifa Jabara, an Arab-American Christian, with a car in September 2015. Judge Lafortune set bond at only $60,000, after which Majors was released on May 25, 2016. Vernon Majors was arrested on Friday August 16, 2016, accused of shooting and killing Haifa Jabara's son, Khalid Jabara.
- "Bill LaFortune wins Tulsa County district judgeship; nine other judges get new terms." Tulsa World. April 12, 2014. Accessed December 5, 2016.
- Kent A. Schell, Robert James LaFortune profile at the Oklahoma Historical Society Archived March 9, 2009, at the Wayback Machine. Encyclopedia of Oklahoma History and Culture Archived April 16, 2009, at the Wayback Machine.; retrieved February 5, 2009.
- "Boardmember in the Spotlight," Oklahoma Cities and Towns (June 2005), pp. 5-6.[dead link]
- "Kathy Taylor: Former Mayor of Tulsa, Oklahoma". City Mayors. 15 June 2008. Retrieved 21 November 2016.
- "Who is G.T. Bynum? A man with deep family roots in Tulsa politics". Tulsa World. 22 May 2016.
- "Bynum tops Bartlett to become Tulsa's mayor". Tulsa World. 29 June 2016. Retrieved 21 November 2016.
- Pickard, Arianna. Victim's family says Tulsa murder suspect had history of ethnic harassment. Tulsa World. August 27, 2016. Accessed December 5, 2016.
|37th Mayor of Tulsa
April 1, 2002 – April 10, 2006