|Member of the Ontario Provincial Parliament
for Thunder Bay—Atikokan
October 2, 2003
|Preceded by||Lyn McLeod|
|Born||1956 (age 60–61)|
Bill Mauro (born c. 1956) is a politician in Ontario, Canada. He is a Liberal member of the Legislative Assembly of Ontario who was elected in 2003. He represents the riding of Thunder Bay—Atikokan and he serves as a cabinet minister in the government of Kathleen Wynne.
Mauro was educated at Lakehead University teacher's college in Thunder Bay, and worked as a property manager for fourteen years before entering provincial politics. He has served on the Thunder Bay municipal council, and was a member of the Thunder Bay Hydro board and the Thunder Bay Regional Hospital.
In the provincial election of 2003, Mauro was elected as a Liberal in Thunder Bay—Atikokan. He defeated his New Democrat candidate John Rafferty by over 11,000 votes. In the 2007 election he faced Rafferty again this time by a narrow margin of 50 votes. He was easily re-elected in the 2011, and 2014 elections.
During his time in government he has served in several Parliamentary Assistant roles assisting ministers including the Minister of Northern Development and Mines (2003–2007, 2011–2013) and the Minister of Natural Resources (2007–2009). On March 25, 2014, Premier Kathleen Wynne appointed Mauro as Minister of Municipal Affairs and Housing. On June 24 after the election she appointed Mauro as the Minister of Natural Resources and Forestry. After fellow cabinet minister Michael Gravelle temporarily stepped aside in February 2017, Mauro also took over his duties as Ministry of Northern Development and Mines on a temporary basis.
In 2004, he announced that the provincial government would be spending almost $1 million to improve Thunder Bay's transportation service. He is also known to favour a return of the spring bear hunt.
|Provincial Government of Kathleen Wynne|
|Cabinet Posts (3)|
|Ted McMeekin||Minister of Municipal Affairs
2016 - Present
|David Orazietti||Minister of Natural Resources and Forestry
|Linda Jeffrey||Minister of Municipal Affairs and Housing
- "Summary of Valid Ballots by Candidate". Elections Ontario. October 2, 2003. Archived from the original on August 21, 2014. Retrieved 2014-03-02.
- "Summary of Valid Ballots Cast for Each Candidate" (PDF). Elections Ontario. October 10, 2007. p. 15 (xxiv). Retrieved 2014-03-02.
- "Summary of Valid Ballots Cast for Each Candidate" (PDF). Elections Ontario. October 6, 2011. p. 17. Archived from the original (PDF) on March 30, 2013. Retrieved 2014-03-02.
- "General Election by District: Thunder Bay—Atikokan". Elections Ontario. June 12, 2014. Archived from the original on June 14, 2014.
- "Jeffrey replaced in cabinet by Thunder Bay MPP". The Brampton Guardian. March 25, 2014. p. 1.
- Richard Brennan; Robert Benzie; Rob Ferguson (June 24, 2014). "Kathleen Wynne warns financial cupboard is bare". Toronto Star.
- "Michael Gravelle steps away from cabinet post, cites year-long battle with depression". CBC News. February 13, 2017. Retrieved February 13, 2017.