|Member of the Florida Senate
from the 3rd district
November 2, 2010
|Preceded by||Alfred Lawson, Jr.|
August 22, 1947 |
|Spouse(s)||Jane Gard Montford|
|Children||Bill Montford, Katherine Montford Peters|
|Alma mater||Chipola Junior College (A.A.)
Florida State University (B.S.) (M.S.)
William Jonas "Bill" Montford III (born August 22, 1947) is a Democratic politician who has served as a member of the Florida State Senate since 2010. He currently represents the 3rd district, encompassing Calhoun, Franklin, Gadsden, Gulf, Hamilton, Jefferson, Leon, Liberty, Madison, Taylor, and Wakulla Counties, and previously represented the 6th district from 2010 to 2012. In 2016, he was re-elected with 67.4% of the vote.
Montford was born in Marianna, Florida (Jackson County), raised in Blountstown, Florida (Calhoun County), is an alumnus of Chipola College in Marianna, and received both undergraduate and graduate degrees from Florida State University in Tallahassee. For the past four decades, Bill Montford has been actively engaged in public education in Leon County and the Big Bend area.
Montford began his teaching career as a math teacher at Belle Vue Middle School in Tallahassee, Florida in 1969 and went on to serve as a school administrator for 26 years, including seven years as an assistant principal and 18 years as a high school principal at Godby High School and Lincoln High School.
In 1982, Montford successfully ran for Leon County Commission serving two consecutive terms. He ran for Superintendent of Leon County Schools in 1996. Montford serves as the Chief Executive Officer (CEO) of the Florida Association of District School Superintendents (FADSS).
In 2016, the Council of Florida College Presidents awarded him the Dr. James L. Wattenbarger Award for "his lifelong service to education".
Montford's wife Jane is a first-grade teacher in Leon County. They have two children, Bill IV and Katherine, and five grandchildren.
In 2010, Montford was elected to the Florida Senate from the 6th District, and was the Senate Minority Whip for 2010-2012. In 2016, he was re-elected with 67.4% of the vote over Republican challenger Nancy Miller. Montford stated that his priorities for the coming term would include education, “out-of-control testing," environmental protections, and a wage increase for state employees.
Montford serves on local and statewide boards including the Tallahassee Chamber of Commerce Executive Committee, Board of Directors and Chairs the Chamber’s Governmental Affair Committee; The Mary Brogan Museum of Art and Science; Challenger Learning Center, the Florida Center for Performing Arts and Education, and The Village Square. He was appointed by Governor Charlie Crist to the Governor’s Council on Physical Fitness and the Legislative Committee on Intergovernmental Relations.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2011-07-21. Retrieved 2010-02-19.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2011-07-18. Retrieved 2010-02-23.
- "Senator Bill Montford receives prestigious Dr. James L. Wattenbarger Award - The County Record". www.thecountyrecord.net. Retrieved 2016-11-23.
- "About Bill | Bill Montford for State Senate". www.billmontford.com. Retrieved 2016-11-23.
- "Florida 3rd District State Senate Results: Bill Montford Wins". Retrieved 2016-11-23.
- LANDECK, KATIE. "Montford to keep state Senate seat". Panama City News Herald. Retrieved 2016-11-23.
- "Bill Montford | Florida Association of District School Superintendents | ZoomInfo.com". ZoomInfo. Retrieved 2016-11-23.