Muter in Japanese Magazine BrassTribe, Fall 2012 Edition
|Born||June 8, 1984|
|Genres||Funk, pop music, jazz, hip hop|
|Instruments||Tuba, bass guitar, percussion|
|Associated acts||Blast!, Mike Mineo|
Bill Muter (born June 8, 1984) is an American tuba player, educator, author and composer from South Florida. Muter is arguably best known for his music technique book titled A Practical Approach: Brass Pedagogy Book. In the month of its release, A Practical Approach was one of the bestselling books on Apple's iBookstore Music Book Charts, topping the Beatles Songbook and the popular Real Book. A Practical Approach has also been fully translated into Japanese. In 2012, Muter toured to all 47 prefectures in Japan promoting his book in association with Blast!, Kyodo Tokyo and BrassTribe Magazine. Along with A Practical Approach, Muter is also a contributing author of pedagogy materials to the International Tuba-Euphonium Association and has presented as a clinician and soloist at the ITEA Midwest Conference. Muter's works have also gained notoriety in Brass Musician Magazine and The New Times.
In 2013 Muter released his debut solo tuba album Off Script, produced by colleague Mike Mineo. Quickly gaining attention by the press, The New Times has claimed that he has the potential to do for the tuba what Louis Armstrong did to the trumpet. Muter and Mineo have recorded 3 albums together. Their second album, "Beach Season," was well received on the college radio scene and the group was listed on the Austin Texas radio station, 93.3 KGSR, as an up-and-coming artist in 2011.
2013: Bill Muter: Off Script (album) (Bill Muter Music)
2012: Bill Muter Tuba Octet: Lament (single) (Bill Muter Music)
2012: A Practical Approach Exercise Practice Tracks (Bill Muter Music)
2011: with Mike Mineo: Beach Season (Nevernothing Records)
2010: with Mike Mineo: Eccentricity (Nevernothing Records)
- Bill Muter (2012). A Practical Approach: Brass Pedagogy Book. LULU Press. ISBN 978-1-105-71790-1.
- a Japanese version of this book, translated by Satoko Nourishirazi, was published by Bill Muter Music in 2012 with ISBN 978-1-105-85377-7
- "A Practical Approach for Tuba | Brass Musician | The online magazine for brass players". brassmusician.com. Retrieved July 24, 2016.
- "Becoming Elite (Sin City) by Tricia Owens - Book Analysis | iTunes Book Charts". bookchart.info. Retrieved July 24, 2016.
- http://www.blast-tour.jp/special/cast.html[permanent dead link]
- http://blog.brasstribe.net/?month=201208[permanent dead link]
- "www.iteaonline.org/members/pedagogy/index_pedagogy.php?page=Warm-ups". iteaonline.org. Retrieved July 24, 2016.
- "Midwest Regional Tuba and Euphonium Conference 2013 - School of Music - College of Fine Arts". Archived from the original on February 5, 2013. Retrieved July 24, 2016.
- "bill muter | Brass Musician | The online magazine for brass players". brassmusician.com. Retrieved July 24, 2016.
- "A Practical Approach: At Only 27, Bill Muter Writes the Book on Playing the Tuba | New Times Broward-Palm Beach". blogs.browardpalmbeach.com. Retrieved July 24, 2016.
- "120 TUBAS CREATE A BUZZ ON BILL MUTER'S NEW ALBUM "OFF SCRIPT" | JazzCorner.com News". jazzcorner.com. Retrieved July 24, 2016.
- "Bill Muter Is Here to Show the World That Tubas Are Cool | New Times Broward-Palm Beach". blogs.browardpalmbeach.com. Retrieved July 24, 2016.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on February 6, 2012. Retrieved January 16, 2012.
- "Bill Muter". billmuter.net. Retrieved July 24, 2016.