|Alma mater||Long Island University|
|Known for||chairman & CEO of NCR Corporation|
William (Bill) R. Nuti is an American businessman from New York. He has been the CEO and Chairman of NCR Corporation since 2005. He joined the company after it spun out of AT&T Nuti holds a BSc. In Finance and Economics from C.W. Post College.
While in college, Nuti worked for IBM, selling copiers. Following his graduation in 1986, Nuti accepted a full-time position with IBM, selling telephone systems for an entity IBM had recently acquired. In 1988, Nuti left IBM for a start-up company, Network Equipment Technology, which was based in San Jose, California. In 1990, he joined Netrix as a regional manager. One of the company’s customers was Cisco, which hired Nuti in 1991.
In 1997, Nuti moved to Singapore and ran Cisco in the Asia/Pacific region. In 1999, he moved to London and ran Cisco Europe, Middle East, and Africa, and more than doubled Cisco’s revenue in the region. In 2001, he returned to Cisco’s headquarters and became senior vice president responsible for both the company’s Worldwide Service Provider business and the U.S. Theater Operations. In this dual role, he led Cisco’s field operations, systems engineering, professional services, marketing and U.S. sales divisions.
In 2002, he left Cisco and joined Symbol Technologies as President and COO. He became CEO in 2003 and returned the company to profitability for the first time in five years, increasing revenue growth by 24% from 2002-2004.
Nuti spent 2006-10 restructuring the company’s entire supply chain. In January 2007, NCR announced a spinoff of Teradata, the company’s data-warehousing business, which was completed on October 1, 2007. In 2009, NCR announced that its headquarters would move from Dayton, Ohio to Atlanta, Georgia. Nuti explained the decision in a 2012 interview: “The decision was good for the company long term, but we made it with a heavy heart.”
In November 2015, NCR announced a strategic partnership with Blackstone, which NCR said would accelerate its “ongoing strategic transformation into an integrated software and services company.” The agreement called for affiliates of Blackstone to invest $820 million in NCR in the form of perpetual convertible preferred shares. NCR used the Blackstone investment to help fund a share repurchase through a self-tender offer for $1 billion of its common stock.
As of 2016, NCR had $1.8 billion in software revenue and $600 million in cloud revenue, up from zero as recently as 2010. Its non-GAAP operating income increased from $383 million in 2010 to $840 million in 2016.
In June 2008, Nuti was appointed to Sprint Communications’ Board of Directors, where he served until July 2013. In May 2014, he was elected to the Board of Directors at Coach, Inc., where he serves on the human resources committee.
In 2014, Nuti became a member of the Georgia Institute of Technology advisory board, where he served until 2017. In December 2013, he joined the Board of Directors of United Continental Holdings (United Airlines), where he serves on finance, compensation, and public responsibility committees. He is a trustee at Long Island University. In the past, he served on the board of Opus360 Corp.
Writing and speaking
In 2014, Nuti was the primary speaker at the Dubai International Project Management Forum (DIPMF). He spoke at the White House Forum on Strategy for American Innovation. In 2017, articles by Nuti were published in The Wall Street Journal, Entrepreneur, and Mobile Payments Today.
In June 2005, American Business Awards called Nuti the “Best Turnaround Executive.” In 2015, he was named “Most Admired CEO” by the Atlanta Business Chronicle. He has also been included on Long Island University’s list of Notable Alumni. In 2014, he was a recipient of the Atlantic Legal Foundation’s Annual Award. In 2017, he received the Lifetime Global Innovation Award from the ATM Industry Association.
Nuti was raised in a two-bedroom tenement in the Bronx. To earn money, Nuti started delivering newspapers when he was nine years old.
He lives in New York City with his wife, Michele, and their son.
- "Stocks". Bloomberg.com. Retrieved 2018-02-04.
- "Bill Nuti on Reinventing NCR". www.bcgperspectives.com. Retrieved 2017-07-11.
- "How Bill Nuti reinvented NCR Corp.'s culture and infrastructure - Smart Business Magazine". Smart Business Magazine. Retrieved 2017-07-11.
- "LIU Post Means Business - Long Island University". www.liu.edu. Retrieved 2017-07-11.
- "Subscribe to read". Financial Times. Retrieved 2017-07-11.
- "Bill Nuti is the primary speaker in Dubai International Project Management Forum - AMEInfo". ameinfo.com. Retrieved 2017-07-11.
- "Event Details". Georgia Tech Scheller College of Business. Retrieved 2017-07-11.
- "Press release dated August 1, 2005". www.sec.gov. Retrieved 2017-07-11.
- Rosencrance, Linda. "Cisco exec resigns, moves to Symbol". Computerworld. Retrieved 2017-07-11.
- "Bill Nuti". NCR | World Leader In Consumer Transaction Technologies. 2017-01-24. Retrieved 2017-07-11.
- Hagerty, John (2007-01-09). "NCR To Spinoff Teradata". Forbes. Retrieved 2017-07-11.
- "Press Release| Investor Relations | NCR". investor.ncr.com. Retrieved 2017-07-11.
- "NCR on the Forbes America's Best Employers List". Forbes. Retrieved 2017-07-11.
- "NCR completes acquisition of Radiant Systems". NCR | World Leader In Consumer Transaction Technologies. 2011-08-23. Retrieved 2017-07-11.
- "NCR Corporation - News Release". investor.ncr.com. Retrieved 2017-07-11.
- "NCR to Buy Digital Insight for $1.65 Billion for Web Banking". Bloomberg.com. Archived from the original on 2016-04-20. Retrieved 2017-07-11.
- "NCR Announces Strategic Partnership with Blackstone Including $820 Million Equity Investment to Accelerate NCR's Transformation". NCR | World Leader In Consumer Transaction Technologies. 2015-11-12. Retrieved 2017-07-11.
- "Document". www.sec.gov. Retrieved 2017-07-11.
- "Sprint Nextel Announces Appointment of William Nuti to Its Board of Directors | Sprint Newsroom". Retrieved 2017-07-11.
- "Board of Directors :: William Nuti". www.coach.com. Retrieved 2017-07-11.
- "COACH - Committees". www.coach.com. Retrieved 2017-07-11.
- "United Continental Holdings Names William R. Nuti to Board of Directors". United - Newsroom. Retrieved 2017-07-11.
- "Committee Composition". ir.united.com. Retrieved 2017-07-11.
- "Board of Trustees | LIU". www.liunet.edu. Retrieved 2017-07-11.
- "Opus360.com - About Opus360: Board of Directors". www.wayfan.com. Retrieved 2017-07-11.
- Nuti, Bill. "WSJ: 24/7 Banking Is 50 Years Old". Dow Jones Digital Reprint Solutions. Retrieved 2017-07-11.
- Nuti, Bill. "Bill Nuti". Entrepreneur. Retrieved 2017-07-11.
- "The new payment future: 3 technologies leading the way". www.mobilepaymentstoday.com. 2017-04-04. Retrieved 2017-07-11.
- Inc., Symbol Technologies,. "Symbol Technologies President and CEO Bill Nuti Garners Best Turnaround Executive Award at the 2005 American Business Awards". www.prnewswire.com. Retrieved 2017-07-11.
- "Alumni List | LIU". liu.edu. Retrieved 2017-07-11.
- "Reinvention: A CEO Instills A Vibrant Culture In A 130-Year-Old Company | The Metropolitan Corporate Counsel". www.metrocorpcounsel.com. Retrieved 2017-07-11.
- "NCRs Bill Nuti Receives ATM Industry Association Lifetime Global Innovation Award". Retrieved 2017-07-11.
- "How My Job as a Paperboy Taught Me About the Power of Reinvention". NCR | World Leader In Consumer Transaction Technologies. 2017-03-14. Retrieved 2017-07-11.