|Secretary of the Department of Defence|
16 August 1979 – 6 February 1984
|Born||William Beal Pritchett
31 January 1921
|Died||28 January 2014(aged 92)|
|Spouse(s)||Elvira "De" Voorstad|
|Children||Isabel and Henry|
|Alma mater||University of Sydney|
Bill Pritchett was born on 31 January 1921. For schooling, he attended the Sydney Church of England Grammar School. Pritchett studied for an Arts Degree at Sydney University, specializing in history and anthropology.
Pritchett served in World War II and then, in 1945, joined the Commonwealth Public Service as a Cadet in the Department of External Affairs. His first overseas post was to Indonesia, during the country's struggle for independence from the Netherlands.
In 1973, Pritchett was recruited to the Defence Department by his former boss in External Affairs, Arthur Tange. He was later appointed Secretary of the Defence Department when Tange retired in 1979. During his time as departmental head, Pritchett worked to improve the departmental culture.
Awards and honours
In January 1984 Pritchett was made an Officer of the Order of Australia for his public service.
- Furlonger, Bob (8 February 2014). "William Pritchett: From diplomat to head of Defence Department". The Sydney Morning Herald (Fairfax Media). Archived from the original on 15 February 2014.
- Barratt, Paul (28 January 2014), "Vale Bill Prichett 1921–2014", Australian Observer, archived from the original on 6 February 2014
- Furlonger, Bob (7 February 2014). "William Pritchett: From diplomacy to the Defence Department". The Canberra Times (Fairfax Media). Archived from the original on 15 February 2014.
- CA 46: Department of Defence [III], Central Office, National Archives of Australia, retrieved 16 February 2014
- "Vale W.D. Pritchett, 1921-2014", Letter to the Canberra Times (not published) (Australia Defence Association), 7 February 2014, archived from the original on 15 February 2014
- Dobell, Graeme (6 February 2014), "To think and to do in Defence", The Strategist: The Australian Strategic Policy Institute Blog (The Australian Strategic Policy Institute), archived from the original on 14 February 2014
- Waterford, Jack (2 February 2014). "A gentleman in an unforgiving world". The Canberra Times (Fairfax Media). Archived from the original on 6 February 2014.
- Search Australian Honours: PRITCHETT, William Beal, Australian Government
|Secretary of the Department of Defence
1979 – 1984