Bill Thompson (technology writer)
Bill Thompson at Television Centre, 2012
|Born||William George Thompson
6 October 1960
Bill Thompson (born 6 October 1960) is an English technology writer, best known for his weekly column in the Technology section of BBC News Online and his appearances on Click, a radio show on the BBC World Service. He is also an Honorary Senior Visiting Fellow at City University London's Journalism Department. and writes for BBC Webwise.
Born William George Thompson in Jarrow, Thompson grew up in Corby. He graduated from Cambridge University in philosophy and with a diploma in computing in 1984 and worked at Acorn Computers. He was a correspondent for the technology programme The Big Byte on BBC Radio. He began to write for The Guardian in 1990, and in 1994 went to work there, setting up the paper's website. He left in 1996 to work as a freelance writer and consultant. In November 2009 he took on a role as head of partnership development for Archive Development projects at the BBC, working with Tony Ageh (formerly of The Guardian, now Controller of Archive Development at the BBC).
Thompson is a trustee of the Britten Sinfonia, and a board member of the Writers' Centre Norwich. In 2010, he was nominated for the Prudential Arts and Business Board Member of the year award.
Thompson also writes books for children:
- —— (1999). Your Own Website. Hodder Headline. ISBN 978-0340736500.
- —— (2000). Your Own Chat Room. Hodder Headline. ISBN 978-0340784822.
- —— (2000). Homework Busters. Belitha Press. ISBN 978-1903174142.
- "Bill Thompson". City University London. Retrieved 2012-03-09.
- Bunz, Mercedes (2 November 2009). "Pair behind first Guardian website back together for BBC Archive | Media | guardian.co.uk". London: Guardian. Retrieved 2010-11-28.
- "Meet the Trustees". Britten Sinfonia. Retrieved 4 September 2014.
- "About Us". Writers' Centre Norwich. Retrieved 4 September 2014.
- Carr, Katy (9 September 2010). "Why Bill Thompson is nominated for the Prudential A&B Board Member of the Year". Writers' Centre Norwich. Retrieved 4 September 2014.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Bill Thompson.|
|Wikiquote has quotations related to: Bill Thompson|
- Bill Thompson on Twitter
- Bill Thompson's blog
- Bill Thompson's personal website
- Bill Thompson on Journalisted