|— Bodybuilder —|
Bill Pearl (right) at Sri Chinmoy's weightlifting ceremony in November 2004
October 31, 1930 |
|Height||5 ft 9 in (1.75 m) –
5 ft 10 in (1.78 m)
|Weight||201 lb (91 kg) –
242 lb (110 kg)
|Pro-debut||Mr. Universe, Amateur, 1953|
|Best win||Mr. Universe, Professional, 1956, 1961, 1967, 1971|
William Arnold "Bill" Pearl (born October 31, 1930) is an American retired professional bodybuilder and athlete. During the 1950s and '60s, he won many titles and awards, including winning the Mr. Universe contest five times, and was named "World’s Best-Built Man of the Century." He became an expert trainer and author on bodybuilding.
Pearl was born in Prineville, Oregon. His first major victory was in the 1953 Amateur Mr Universe contest (in which he beat out a then 23-year-old Sean Connery). He actively competed until his retirement in 1971 after winning the Mr. Universe one last time, over superstars Frank Zane, Reg Park and Sergio Oliva. In all, he won the professional Mr Universe 4 times in an 18-year span, which was unprecedented at the time.
He was the first professional bodybuilder to author bodybuilding training courses/booklets. He is also the first to pose to music, and was especially noted in performing exhibitions doing an entire posing routine of Eugen Sandow (who is known as the man who invented bodybuilding). Ever the showman, along with his lifelong coach Leo Stern, Pearl would wear a fake mustache, leotards, a fig leaf, and a late-19th century backdrop, all for providing the exact effect of the Sandow era. Leo Stern had some different ideas when training Bill such as drinking cream to gain weight that did seem to work to produce a powerful build.Pearl was equally as famous for performing his strongman routine, which included tearing of license plates, bending penny spike nails, and blowing up a hot water bottle as well as his ability on the bench press exercise using up to 500 lbs.
He is the author of the popular exercise book, Getting Stronger: Weight Training for Men and Women, which has sold over 350,000 copies in the United States and has been translated into four other languages, including Chinese. His book Keys To The INNER Universe, is still to this day considered to be a "must read" for bodybuilders. It contains 1,500 weight-training exercises and weighs five pounds. It is used extensively by professional athletes, trainers and serious bodybuilders and has sold over 60,000 copies.
Pearl had his own monthly question-and-answer column called "Pearl of the Universe" in the bodybuilding magazine MuscleMag International as well as one in Muscle Builder (later Muscle & Fitness) magazine, entitled "Wisdom of Pearl" in the 1970s & 1980s.
In 2003 with coauthor Kim Shott, Pearl published his autobiography, Beyond the Universe: The Bill Pearl Story.
In 2004, Pearl was awarded the Arnold Schwarzenegger Classic Lifetime Achievement Award for significantly impacting the world of bodybuilding. In November 2004, Bill Pearl acted as Master of Ceremonies for Sri Chinmoy's Weightlifting celebration, in New York.
In 2011 Pearl appeared in the documentary Challenging Impossibility describing when he hosted the 2004 strength exhibition by spiritual teacher and peace advocate Sri Chinmoy. The film was an Official Selection of the 2011 Tribeca Film Festival.
Pearl is 5' 9" tall.
||Harold Frank Pearl
Father (b. 1903)
||Mildred Elizabeth Pasley
Mother (b. 1905)
Son (b. 10-31-1930)
Bodybuilding titles and awards
- 1952 Mr. San Diego, 3rd place (San Diego, California)
- 1952 Mr. Oceanside (Oceanside, California)
- 1953 Mr. Southern California (Los Angeles, California)
- 1953 Mr. California (Los Angeles, California)
- 1953 A.A.U., Mr. America (Indianapolis, Indiana)
- 1953 N.A.B.B.A., Mr. Universe Amateur (London, England)
- 1956 Mr. U.S.A., Professional (Los Angeles, California)
- 1956 N.A.B.B.A., Mr. Universe, Professional, Tall Man’s Class (London, England)
- 1961 N.A.B.B.A., Mr. Universe, Professional (London, England)
- 1967 N.A.B.B.A., Mr. Universe, Professional (London, England)
- 1971 N.A.B.B.A., Mr. Universe, Professional (London, England)
- 1974 W.B.B.A., World’s Best-Built Man of the Century (New York, New York)
- 1978 Entered into W.B.B.A., Hall of Fame (New York, New York)
- 1978 Elected the I.F.B.B. National Chairman of the Professional Physique Judges Committee (Acapulco, Mexico)
- 1988 Entered into Pioneers of Fitness Hall of Fame
- 1992 Entered into Gold’s Gym Hall of Fame
- 1994 Guest of Honor of the Association of Oldetime Barbell & Strongmen 12th Annual Reunion
- 1994 Entered into The Joe Weider Hall of Fame
- 1995 A.A.U. Lifetime Achievement Award
- 1995 Oscar Heidenstam Foundation Hall of Fame
- 1996 American Powerlifters Federation Hall of Fame
- 1997 International Chiropractors Association Sports & Fitness Man of the Year
- 1999 I.F.B.B. Hall of Fame Inductee
- 2000 Spirit of Muscle Beach Award
- 2001 World Gym Lifetime Achievement Award
- 2001 Society of Weight-Training Injury Specialists Lifetime Achievement Award
- 2002 Canadian Fitness Award for 60+ Years of Inspiration to the Industry
- 2002 National Fitness Trade Journal Lifetime Achievement Award
- 2003 Iron Man magazine Peary & Mabel Radar Lifetime Achievement Award
- 2004 Arnold Schwarzenegger Lifetime Achievement Award
- 2006 PDI Night of Champions Lifetime Achievement Award
- Beyond the Universe – The Bill Pearl Story
- Getting in Shape: 32 Workout Programs for Lifelong Fitness
- Getting Back in Shape: 32 Workout Programs for Lifelong Fitness
- Getting Stronger: Weight Training for Men and Women
- Getting Stronger: Weight Training for Men and Women (Revised Edition)
- Keys to the INNER Universe
- "Pearls of Wisdom - Bill Pearl a Bodybuilding Legend" (DVD, 150 minutes)
- "Bill Pearl & Dave Draper Seminar" (DVD, 75 minutes)
- Pearl, Bill & Shott, Kim."Beyond the Universe-The Bill Pearl Story", page 15. AGNI PRESS, 2003-2004. Retrieved on May 8, 2008
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2008-10-16. Retrieved 2008-10-15.
- 2004 Weightlifing anniversary
- Kilgannon, Corey (April 25, 2011). "A Monument to Strength as a Path to Enlightenment". New York Times. Retrieved April 25, 2011.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2009-03-05. Retrieved 2009-05-02.
- Pearl, Bill & Shott, Kim."Beyond the Universe-The Bill Pearl Story", page 15. AGNI PRESS, 2003-2004. Retrieved on May 9, 2008
- http://www.ifbb.com/halloffame/1999/pearl.htm. I.F.B.B. website. Retrieved on May 9, 2008
- "Pearls of Wisdom - Bill Pearl a Bodybuilding Legend." DVD. GMV Productions, 2007
- Pearl, Bill & Shott, Kim."Beyond the Universe-The Bill Pearl Story", page viii. AGNI PRESS, 2003-2004. Retrieved on May 8, 2008