|Minority Leader of the South Dakota Senate|
January 5, 2015 – January 8, 2019
|Preceded by||Jason Frerichs|
|Succeeded by||Troy Heinert|
|Member of the South Dakota Senate|
from the 21st district
January 3, 2011 – January 8, 2019
|Preceded by||Julie Bartling|
|Succeeded by||Rocky Blare|
Billie Harmon Sutton
March 16, 1984
Burke, South Dakota, U.S.
|Education||University of Wyoming (BA)|
Billie Harmon Sutton (born March 16, 1984) is an American former professional bronc rider and politician. He was a member of the South Dakota Senate from 2011 to 2019, served as Minority Leader, and was the 2018 Democratic nominee for Governor of South Dakota.
Early life, education, and rodeo accident
A fifth-generation South Dakotan, Sutton grew up in Burke, South Dakota, on his family ranch, where his interest in rodeo began. Sutton went to college at the University of Wyoming and became a successful rider as the university's all-time leader in rodeo points. He graduated in May 2008 with a degree in finance.
Sutton competed professionally on the PRCA circuit, reaching a top 30 worldwide ranking. In 2007, Sutton was paralyzed from the waist down when his horse flipped upside down in the chute prior to a bronc ride at a rodeo in Minot, North Dakota. He was 23 years old at the time of the accident.
After the accident and completion of his college degree, Sutton returned to Burke to work as an investment consultant at a bank.
In 2010, Sutton was elected to the South Dakota Senate, representing District 21. He served as Senate Assistant Minority Leader from 2013 to 2015. He was succeeded in this position by Troy Heinert from District 26. Sutton currently serves as South Dakota Senate Minority Leader.
In May 2017, Sutton announced his candidacy for Governor of South Dakota in 2018 at his family ranch in Burke, SD. Michelle Lavallee of Sioux Falls, a former Republican, is the Lieutenant Governor candidate on Sutton's ticket.
The Sioux Falls Argus Leader and Rapid City Journal endorsed Sutton for South Dakota Governor in 2018. Sutton was also endorsed by a number of prominent Republicans, including former U.S. Senator Larry Pressler, former State Senate Majority Leader Dave Knudson, former State Treasurer Dave Volk, former Mayor of Sioux Falls Rick Knobe, and current Lincoln County Commissioner Jim Schmidt, among others.
|2016||State Senate||Sutton was unopposed in the Democratic Primary and in the general election.|
|2014||State Senate||Sutton was unopposed in the Democratic Primary and in the general election.|
|2012||State Senate||Sutton was unopposed in the Democratic Primary and defeated John S. Meyer (R) in the general election with 5723 votes (59.46%) to Meyer's 3902 (40.54%).|
|2010||State Senate||Sutton defeated John S. Meyer (R) in the general election with 4167 votes (57.78%) to Meyer's 3045 (42.22%).|
- Press, The Associated. "Sutton, upbeat, returns to UW classes". The Billings Gazette. Retrieved 2018-10-15.
- "Meet Billie". Sutton for South Dakota Governor. Retrieved 2017-07-15.
- Montgomery, David (14 July 2013). "Cowboy's dreams standing tall". Argus Leader. Archived from the original on 19 December 2013. Retrieved 19 December 2013.
- "From the archives: Billie Sutton, state senator and working cowboy". Argus Leader. Retrieved 2018-10-15.
- "2016 Session - Senator Billie H. Sutton". sdlegislature.gov. Retrieved 2016-06-16.
- "Democrats, Sutton enter South Dakota governor race". Argus Leader. Retrieved 2017-07-15.
- "Meet Michelle Lavallee". Billie Sutton for South Dakota Governor. Retrieved 2018-08-20.
- "Editorial: Billie Sutton makes sense for South Dakota". Argus Leader. October 18, 2018.
- "OURS: Journal endorses Sutton for governor". Rapid City Journal. October 19, 2018.
- Mearhoff, Sarah (October 25, 2018). "SD bombshell: Poll shows governor's race dead heat in deep red state". The Globe. The Globe.
- "Sutton Picks Up Republican Endorsements". KDLT. KDLT. October 25, 2018.
- Mercer, Bob (October 30, 2018). "Election Analysis: Democrats Seeking Republican Votes". KELO. Nexstar Media Group.
- Nord, James (August 20, 2018). "Cowboy turned lawmaker hopes to be South Dakota governor". Associated Press. Retrieved 2018-08-20.
- "A South Dakota Election Takes an Unusual Shift Toward Democrats". www.bloomberg.com. Retrieved 2018-10-11.
- "From the archives: Billie Sutton, state senator and working cowboy". Argus Leader. Retrieved 2017-07-15.
- Healy, Jack (2018-10-21). "Democrats Lost Rural America. This Former Rodeo Star Thinks He Can Win It Back". The New York Times. ISSN 0362-4331. Retrieved 2018-12-07.
- "2016 Election Candidate List". Retrieved 2016-06-16.
- "Secretary of State - State Legislative Races".
- "Election Resources: South Dakota Secretary of State, Shantel Krebs". sdsos.gov. Retrieved 2016-06-16.
|South Dakota Senate|
| Minority Leader of the South Dakota Senate
|Party political offices|
| Democratic nominee for Governor of South Dakota
|This South Dakota politician-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|