The Beacon, Billinge Hill
Billinge shown within Merseyside
|Population||6,554 (2001 Census)|
|OS grid reference|
|Civil parish||Billinge Chapel End|
|Metropolitan borough||St Helens|
|Sovereign state||United Kingdom|
|EU Parliament||North West England|
Billinge is a village within the Metropolitan Borough of St Helens, in Merseyside, England. It forms the larger part of the civil parish of Billinge Chapel End. At the United Kingdom Census 2001, it had a population of 6,554.
Historically in Lancashire, Billinge is located by road approximately 4.5 miles (7.2 km) southwest of Wigan (town centre) and 3.7 miles (5.9 km) northeast of St Helens (town centre). The Church of St Aidan is in the Wigan Deanery, which is part of the Anglican Diocese of Liverpool.
This township or civil parish lies within the historic county boundaries of Lancashire. It was in Wigan ecclesiastical parish (Deanery of Wigan) and, therefore, in the Diocese of Liverpool, previously Chester. On 2 February 1837 with the commencement of the Wigan poor law Union which merged the workhouses of 20 parishes in the Wigan area the parish was divided into two separate townships, Billinge Chapel End and Billinge Higher End. In 1872 Billinge Local Board of Health was established for the area of these two townships and two detached parts of Winstanley township (one known as Blackley Hurst and the other situated in the Carr Mill area, both lying within the area of Billinge Chapel End township). In 1894 the area of the Local Board (together with the remaining area of Winstanley township) became Billinge Urban District. In 1927 the urban district was renamed Billinge and Winstanley Urban District. In 1974 the Billinge Higher End ward and most of Winstanley ward became part of the Metropolitan Borough of Wigan, Greater Manchester County; the Billinge Chapel End area (including the two detached parts of Winstanley township) became part of the Metropolitan Borough of St Helens, Merseyside County.
Billinge has a number of primary schools:
- Billinge Chapel End Community School
- Birchley St. Mary's Catholic Primary School
- Billinge St Aidan's C of E Primary School
and one independent school which caters for children and young people with additional needs:
- Nugent House School (Independent)
- Colin Greenall, former professional footballer
- Carley Stenson, Actress, Hollyoaks (plays the part of Steph Dean)
- Richard D. Lewis, linguist and cross-cultural adviser
- Heather Frederiksen, multiple paralympic swimming champion
- Helen McCourt, murder victim
- Ken Owen, drummer for extreme metal band Carcass
- "2001 Census: Key Statistics (Northern England)" (PDF). Office for National Statistics. Retrieved 18 August 2008.
- "2001 Census: Billinge CP". Office for National Statistics. Retrieved 18 August 2008.
- "Greater Manchester Gazetteer". Greater Manchester County Record Office. Places names - B. Archived from the original on 18 July 2011. Retrieved 20 December 2006.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Billinge, Merseyside.|