Billy Brown (footballer, born 1950)
|Date of birth||20 December 1950|
|Place of birth||Musselburgh, Scotland|
* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only.
William "Billy" Brown (born 20 December 1950 in Musselburgh) is a Scottish football player and coach, who recently worked as assistant manager at Heart of Midlothian. He previously managed Scottish Second Division side East Fife. Brown played in the Scottish Football League for Motherwell and Raith Rovers. He then became a football coach, working at Berwick Rangers, Falkirk, Hearts, Bradford City and Kilmarnock with longtime colleague Jim Jefferies.
Brown began his career at Hull City going on to play for Motherwell and Raith Rovers. His senior playing career was ended by a cruciate ligament injury at the age of 28. He continued to play at a junior level with Newtongrange Star and Musselburgh Athletic whilst with Musselburgh he became a coach.
Brown became assistant manager to Jim Jefferies, an old school friend from Musselburgh Grammar School, at Berwick Rangers in 1988. Since then he has followed him to Falkirk, Hearts, Bradford City and Kilmarnock. After leaving Kilmarnock with Jefferies in January 2010, Brown and Jefferies returned to Hearts soon afterwards. Jefferies and Brown were sacked by Hearts on 1 August 2011.
Brown was appointed assistant manager at Hibernian in September 2011. He was made caretaker manager of the club following the dismissal of Colin Calderwood in November and was interviewed for the job. Pat Fenlon was appointed manager, but Brown was retained as assistant manager until June 2012, when his contract expired.
Brown was appointed manager of East Fife in November 2012. Although East Fife struggled during the 2012–13 season, the club won the Scottish Second Division play-offs to stay in the third tier. On 5 June 2013 it was reported that Brown had parted company with East Fife. Brown then returned to Hearts, working as an unpaid assistant to manager Gary Locke. Hearts had recently entered administration and could not afford to offer a salary to an assistant coach. Brown was given a paid short-term contract in September 2013. In January 2014, Brown was informed that his contract would not be renewed. After a delegation of Hearts players met the club administrators, Brown was subsequently given another contract.
As of 19 May 2013[update]
|East Fife||November 2012||5 June 2013||30||8||8||14||26.67|
- "Jim Jefferies and Billy Brown part company with SPL strugglers Kilmarnock". Daily Mail (London). 12 January 2010. Retrieved 25 June 2011.
- "Hearts confirm deals for Billy Brown and Gary Locke". BBC News. 12 February 2010. Retrieved 25 June 2011.
- "Jim Jefferies and Billy Brown sacked on day of drama at Hearts". The Guardian. 1 August 2011. Retrieved 15 September 2011.
- "Hibs confirm Brown as assistant". BBC Sport. British Broadcasting Corporation. 15 September 2011. Retrieved 15 September 2011.
- "Billy Brown given Hibs caretaker role". BBC Sport. BBC. 7 November 2011. Retrieved 7 November 2011.
- "Hibs interview Billy Brown for manager's post". BBC Sport. BBC. 17 November 2011. Retrieved 17 November 2011.
- McLauchlin, Brian (28 November 2011). "Brown stays as assistant as two coaches leave Hibernian". BBC Sport. BBC. Retrieved 28 November 2011.
- "Hibernian and assistant boss Billy Brown part company". BBC Sport. BBC. 29 June 2012. Retrieved 29 June 2012.
- Clarke, Eugene (5 November 2012). "Club Appoints Billy Brown as Manager". eastfifefc.info. East Fife FC. Retrieved 5 November 2012.
- "East Fife: Manager Billy Brown considers future". BBC Sport. BBC. 19 May 2013. Retrieved 19 May 2013.
- Smith, Craig (5 June 2013). "East Fife part company with boss Billy Brown". The Courier. DC Thomson. Retrieved 5 June 2013.
- "Hearts: Billy Brown returns as unpaid assistant manager". BBC Sport (BBC). 1 July 2013. Retrieved 1 July 2013.
- "Hearts short-term deal for assistant manager Billy Brown". BBC Sport. BBC. 11 September 2013. Retrieved 1 January 2014.
- "Hearts: Assistant manager Billy Brown to stay until 31 January". BBC Sport. BBC. 19 January 2014. Retrieved 19 January 2014.
- "Hearts extend Billy Brown's short-term deal for Cup semi-final". BBC Sport. BBC. 27 January 2014. Retrieved 27 January 2014.