Billy Davis (wide receiver)
|No. 87, 86|
|Date of birth:||July 6, 1972|
|Place of birth:||El Paso, Texas|
|Height:||6 ft 1 in (1.85 m)|
|Weight:||201 lb (91 kg)|
|High school:||Irvin (TX)|
|* Offseason and/or practice squad member only|
|Career highlights and awards|
|Career NFL statistics|
|Player stats at PFR|
Billy Davis (born July 6, 1972 in El Paso, Texas) is a former professional American football player who played wide receiver for six seasons for the Dallas Cowboys and Baltimore Ravens. He played college football at the University of Pittsburgh.
As a senior, he registered 51 receptions, including tying a school record with four touchdown receptions in a game, to help upset Rutgers University. He finished fifth on the school all-time receiving list with 1,800 yards.
After not being selected in the 1995 NFL Draft, he was signed as an undrafted free agent by the Dallas Cowboys. He made the roster based on his standout special teams play and was a part of the Super Bowl XXX winning team.
Davis always finished among the team leaders in special teams tackles during his time with the Cowboys (recorded a total of 64). In 1996, he missed three games with a broken foot, but still tied for third on the team in special teams tackles
As a wide receiver, he was mostly a reserve player that was known to have excellent training camps where he showed his explosiveness and size advantages, but it didn't transfer to the regular season. In 1998 with the arrival of new head coach Chan Gailey, he was named the starter opposite to future hall of famer Michael Irvin and proceeded to have a breakthrough season with 39 receptions for 691 yards (17.7 yards average) and 3 touchdowns. He also had 11 special teams tackles.
In 1999, he struggled while playing on offense, but it didn't affect his special teams play, finishing with a career-best 21 tackles. The next year he finished fourth on the team with 15 special teams tackles and was a part of the Super Bowl XXXV winning side. He was released for salary cap reasons on March 19, 2001.
- "Davis would like to make Steelers pay for overlooking him". Retrieved February 19, 2017.
- "Davis craving attention". Retrieved February 19, 2017.
- "Ravens close to landing B. Davis". Retrieved February 19, 2017.
- "Cowboys Release WR Davis". Retrieved February 19, 2017.
- "Champs hope Thompson is special". Retrieved February 19, 2017.
- "Offer to Sharper in question". Retrieved February 19, 2017.
- "Robinson on track for return to lineup". Retrieved February 19, 2017.
- "Football Bears: Released RB Marlon Barnes, DL Van...". Retrieved February 19, 2017.
- "Recalled INF...". Retrieved February 19, 2017.