Billy Flynn (musician)
|Born||August 11, 1956|
Green Bay, Wisconsin, United States
|Genres||Chicago blues, electric blues|
|Occupation(s)||Guitarist, singer, songwriter|
|Labels||Easy Baby, Land O' Blues|
|Associated acts||Jimmy Dawkins, the Legendary Blues Band, Mississippi Heat|
In addition to his own work and works mentioned later, he has worked and recorded with Bryan Lee, Little Smokey Smothers, Mark Hummel, Willie Kent, Snooky Pryor, Big Bill Morganfield, John Brim, Jody Williams, Little Arthur Duncan, Deitra Farr, and Billy Boy Arnold.
Flynn was born in Green Bay, Wisconsin. In 1970, a local blues club opened and Flynn was inspired by the music provided there by Luther Allison, Johnny Littlejohn and Mighty Joe Young. Flynn was fortunate to be spotted playing outside the venue by Jimmy Dawkins, who arranged for Flynn to play with him on stage. Flynn joined Dawkins's backing band in 1975, and he played and toured with them until the end of the decade.
Flynn also worked locally during this period and played alongside Sunnyland Slim. In the early part of the 1980s, Flynn was a member of the touring ensemble Jim Liban and the Futuramics. In the late 1980s, he joined the Legendary Blues Band. He also played with Mississippi Heat.
Willie "Big Eyes" Smith's 2008 album, Born in Arkansas, utilized Flynn, plus bassist Bob Stroger, pianist Barrelhouse Chuck, Little Frank Krakowski and Smith's son, drummer Kenny "Beedy Eyes" Smith.
|2005||Billy's Blues||Easy Baby|
|2005||Chicago Blues Mandolin||Easy Baby|
|2009||Blues Drive Vol. 1–2||Land O' Blues|
|2017||Lonesome Highway||Delmark Records|
- Hanson, Karen (2007). Today's Chicago Blues (1st ed.). Chicago: Lake Claremont Press. p. 155. ISBN 978-1-893121-19-5.
- "Billy Flynn Blues – Discography". Billyflynn.com. Retrieved December 14, 2011.
- "Friday Performers – Kim Wilson's Blues All-Stars featuring Billy Flynn and Kid Ramos". Bluesinternationalltd.com. Archived from the original on January 17, 2012. Retrieved December 14, 2011.
- "Biography". Billyflynn.com. Retrieved December 14, 2011.
- "Born in Arkansas – Willie "Big Eyes" Smith". Blues.co.nz. Archived from the original on April 26, 2012. Retrieved December 14, 2011.
- "Allmusic ((( Billy Flynn > Discography > Main Albums )))".