This article needs additional citations for verification. (February 2010) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Labels||Too Pure |
|Associated acts||The Baker Boys |
|Website||Billy Mahonie Facebook|
Billy Mahonie is a British post-rock band.
Formed in 1997, the original line-up consisted of Gavin Baker (guitar), Howard Monk (drums), Hywell Dinsdale (bass and guitar) and Kevin Penney (bass). Their first release was on the Fierce Panda record label, a split-single with Rothko, followed by a release on the Fierce Panda offshoot Livid Meerkat and an EP on Gold Hole Recordings. By 1999 they had signed with Too Pure, who released their debut album 'The Big Dig'. That year they also recorded their first of two Peel Sessions, and toured Europe.
Despite good reviews for The Big Dig, they were dropped by Too Pure, only for Southern Records to pick them up, and release the album 'What Becomes Before' in 2001. The band took a break after a second European tour in autumn 2001. In 2003, a third album 'Dust' was released on Tritone Records, with a new line-up of Baker and Monk joined by Duncan Brown (bass) and Anthony Barratt (guitar).
A collection of singles and other rarities, 'Found', was released in 2005 on Oof Records. The band played a few shows in 2004, 2005 and 2006 with mixture of line-ups and then took a break from live work. A compilation of demos, out takes and singles entitled 'Exhale on Mare Street' came out on Unlabel in 2007 and was re-released in 2010 having been remastered with a couple of extra tracks included.
A fourth album 'BM' came out in autumn 2009. The album was recorded by just Baker and Monk and was released on Static Caravan as a limited lathe-cut record and download. The original line-up of Baker, Dinsdale, Monk and Penney played selected shows in 2009, 2010 (Audioscope Festival) and 2014 (The End Festival).
Billy Mahonie’s reputation as an incredibly engaging and very intense live act sets it apart from virtually every other instrumental act. They play a bizarre type of hardcore rock with krautrock and prog rock mixed in, also strong electric folk melodies, and the occasional leap into jazz rock. BM has had pretty much universal praise for their releases and live shows.
- Gavin Baker – guitar, bass, mandolin, banjo, organ (1997–now)
- Howard Monk – drums, percussion, telephone (1997–now)
- Hywell Dinsdale – bass, guitar, drums, harmonica, melodica (1997–2001, 2005–now)
- Kevin Penney – bass, guitar, keyboards (1997–2001, 2005–now)
- Anthony Barratt – guitar, electronics (2002–2005)
- Duncan Brown – bass (2002–2005)
- 1999: The Big Dig (Too Pure)
- 2001: What Becomes Before (Southern Records)
- 2001: Tribute To Jet Johnson - an album of home recordings - (Day Release Records Singles Club)
- 2003: Dust (Tritone Records)
- 2005: Found - singles compilation - (Oof Records)
- 2007: Exhale On Mare Street - out takes and singles compilation - (Unlabel)
- 2009: BM (Static Caravan)
- 2010: Exhale On Mare Street - remastered with extra tracks - (Unlabel)
Singles and EPs
- 1998: Hoon - split single with Rothko (Fierce Panda)
- 1998: Whistling Sam - single (Livid Meerkat)
- 1999: Little Feet - EP (Gold Hole)
- 1999: World Inaction - split EP with Jullander (Stupid Cat/Beau Rivage)
- 1999: Come On Billy Mahonie Give It Your Best Shot - 3 cd single set (Too Pure)
- 1999: One Thousand Years of Billy Mahonie - remix EP with Bows & Hefner (Too Pure)
- 2000: Rot Of The Stars - split single with Seafood (Jonathan Whiskey)
- 2000: Flume - single (Speakerphone Recordings)
- 2004: Nightmare City - download EP (BM Recordings)
- 2006: New Year's Eve Song - split single with The Jesus Years (Theory of Nothing)
- 2006: Watching People Speaking - EP (Euphrate Records)
- 2007: Nightmare City - single (Euphrate Records)
- "Billy Mahonie - Biography & History - AllMusic". AllMusic. Retrieved 2017-03-24.
- "The Big Dig - Billy Mahonie - Songs, Reviews, Credits - AllMusic". AllMusic. Retrieved 2017-03-24.
- "What Becomes Before - Billy Mahonie - Songs, Reviews, Credits - AllMusic". AllMusic. Retrieved 2017-03-24.
- Gavin Baker Music Discography
- "Come On Billy Mahonie Give It Your Best Shot - Billy Mahonie - Songs, Reviews, Credits - AllMusic". AllMusic. Retrieved 2017-03-24.