Billy Reid (fashion designer)
Early life and education
Reid grew up in Amite, Louisiana, just south of the Mississippi border. He helped his mother operate a women’s clothing boutique located in his grandmother’s home. Reid's hobbies included outdoor activities in the surrounding Southeast Louisiana wetlands. Reid attended Southeastern Louisiana University. Later he attended the Art Institute of Dallas and studied fashion design and merchandising. While still at the Art Institute, he started working for Saks Fifth Avenue. After Saks he worked for 6 years at Reebok International, travelling across the globe for the first collections of Australian golfer Greg Norman. He later did freelance design for Fruit of the Loom, Neiman Marcus, and J. C. Penney.
Reid's first collection launched in Spring 1998. He received the CFDA Best New Menswear Designer award in 2001. Legendary civil rights photographer Charles Moore shot the first photos for the brand.
Economic effects arising from the September 11 attacks forced him to close the business in Spring 2002, and Reid then moved to Florence, Alabama, his wife's hometown.
Reid's new business model built up a small namesake chain of shops which reflected his "personality and his aesthetic" - loaded with antiques, family heirlooms and reclaimed architectural materials; they "took on a very personal, warm and hospitable environment."
His company headquarters is still in Florence, Alabama in a historic bookstore. Downstairs is his flagship shop and upstairs is his design studio. The brand operates a total of 13 directly-owner stores. The stores have an atmosphere of faded elegance: well-worn chairs and carpets, antique chandeliers, mounted animals, and antique apothecary cabinets. Reid has said: "We're based in Alabama and work in New York; It's the balance of those two worlds that our aesthetic is about."
Actor Daniel Craig wore the Billy Reid Bond peacoat in the 2012 film Skyfall, which exposed the brand to a wider audience.  The coat was named after Bond Street, the location of the brand's flagship store in New York City.
Reid, Derek Lam, Reed Krakoff, and Simon Doonan form the advisory board for the Cadillac/CFDA Retail Lab mentorship program, which provides a $75,000 grant along with business development, marketing, and PR assistance for six up-and-coming designers annually.
Billy Reid monobrand stores are located in:
- Atlanta (Buckhead and Westside Provisions)
- Austin, Texas
- Charleston, South Carolina
- Chicago (Fulton-Randolph Market District)
- Dallas (Highland Park Village)
- Florence, Alabama
- Houston (Westheimer Road)
- New York City (Bond Street and West Village)
- New Orleans (Magazine Street)
- Washington, DC (M Street NW)
Awards and honors
- 2001 CFDA Best New Menswear Designer
- 2009 New York Magazine Best Men's Store in New York
- 2010 GQ Magazine Best new menswear designer in America
- 2010 CFDA/Vogue Fashion Fund Prize 
- 2012 CFDA Menswear Designer of the Year
- Billy Reid on Facebook
- Justin Abbott, Meet the Designers: Billy Reid blogs.nordstrom.com AUGUST 19, 2013
- Steel Magnolia: The rugged charm of Southern fashion’s prodigal son, Billy Reid Rhapsody Magazine
- Council of Fashion Designers of America, Billy Reid Accessed 6/17/2016
- billyreid.com Remembering Our First Shoot November 4, 2014
- RACHEL DODES, Designer Fashions a Comeback Without the Usual Pattern THE WALL STREET JOURNAL, Feb. 9, 2006
- Times Daily Reid wins designer award 2010/02/13
- Fashion New York Times 2009/02/19
- The Shortlist: Billy Reid Elle Decor, October 2013
- GQ.com James Bond Gets His 'Bama on in Skyfall Thanks to Billy Reid, Matt Sebra, October 18, 2012
- JAKE WOOLF, How James Bond's Peacoat Changed Billy Reid's Business, GQ Magazine November 5, 2015
- K-Swiss Billy Reid Collection
- Mikelle Street, Billy Reid Wants to Take His Shindig Festival On the Road observer.com 03/22/16
- Nicholas Tamarin, Gensler Collaborates with Cadillac and CFDA on New York Flagship interiordesign.net June 1, 2016
- New York Magazine Best of New York 2009 • Best Men’s Store
- fashionista.com GQ names Billy Reid Best new menswear designer in America FEB 2010
- Billy Reid wins 2010 CFDA Huffington Post
- Marc Karimzadeh, Billy Reid Named CFDA/Vogue Fashion Fund Winner Women's Wear Daily November 15, 2010