January 6, 1911|
Bergen, New York
|Died||August 24, 1984
Los Angeles, California
|Cause of death||Lung cancer|
|Resting place||Hillside Memorial Park Cemetery, Culver City, California|
Billy Sands (January 6, 1911 – August 27, 1984) was an American character actor who appeared as a regular on The Phil Silvers Show (Sgt Bilko) as Pvt. Dino Papparelli and was a regular on McHale's Navy as Harrison "Tinker" Bell. He has also made guest-starring roles on many other television series, including Car 54, Where Are You?, All in the Family, Here's Lucy, Happy Days, and The Odd Couple. Sands also appears in one of the opening scenes of Rocky as a booker for the fighters.
He was born William F. Sands in Bergen, NY to John F. & Dana A. Sands. Sands began his professional career in 1946 when he appeared on Broadway with Spencer Tracy in Robert Sherwood's "Rugged Path."
He died from lung cancer at the age of 73 while at UCLA Medical Center in Los Angeles, CA on August 27, 1984. He is buried at Hillside Memorial Park Cemetery in Culver City, CA.
- McHale's Navy (1964) - Motor Machinist Mate Harrison Bell
- McHale's Navy Joins the Air Force (1965) - Motor Machinist Mate Harrison Bell
- The Reluctant Astronaut (1967) - Airport Announcer / Man Mopping Floor in Film (uncredited)
- P.J. (1968) - Barber (uncredited)
- The Love God? (1969) - Barber (uncredited)
- How to Frame a Figg (1971) - Bowling Alley Manager
- Another Nice Mess (1972) - Interpreter
- The Harrad Experiment (1973) - Jack
- Rocky (1976) - Club Fight Announcer
- The World's Greatest Lover (1977) - Guard
- High Anxiety (1977) - Customer
- Serial (1980) - Bartender
|This article about an American television actor born in the 1910s is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|